iMac heat issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steveohim, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Steveohim macrumors newbie

I've just got myself a second hand imac 2008 model. Within 30 minutes of it being on I've noticed the the top left hand corner at the back gets very hot

Is this normal?

2. MD211 macrumors newbie

Yep, it is. Even to a degree where it is uncomfortable to touch.

3. Steveohim thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MrMJS macrumors member

Yes, my 09 iMac does the same thing. I asked the local Apple Authorized Service about it. They told me the early aluminum models run hot. The power supply is located in that area.. basically the whole mac is a heat sink. He told me not to worry about it. The new iMacs run much cooler, at lest they feel cooler.

5. ukanon macrumors newbie

Yep . . .

It depends what you are running as well. I run ITV Player (in UK) and the fans kick in and machine gets very hot when I do, the GPU must be located there as well?? My machine was fairly cool in comparison to my wife's but when I replaced the HD on her machine it ran far cooler, awkward but not difficult to replace. I've just replaced my HD, we'll see how that gets on. I checked out all the Mac i27 inches in local PC Worlds at that time and they all could fry an egg. Later versions seem better.

HTH

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have a 2007 iMac and had a 2011 iMac and both got pretty warm when I was was or am working them. My 2012 is a completely different story. For the most part it stays cool to the touch. The heat has never caused any issues though.