iMac heat when rendering?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snapdragonx, Mar 31, 2014.

1. snapdragonx macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm a video editor looking to upgrade my system. I'm stuck trying to decide between a maxed-out 27" iMac or a 6-core new Mac Pro.

Basically I'm wanting to hear from any video editors how hot/loud the iMac gets during rendering?

The Mac Pro is tempting due to its ability to keep itself very cool and quiet. But I'd prefer the iMac for the lower price.

Any info appreciated.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've a maxed-out 27" (3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 4GB GTX780M and 512GB SSD) and when rendering 4K, it's still pretty silent. Even at its loudest, it's a barely inaudible whir.

The Haswell iMacs are very efficient in temperature control.

3. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I've never heard the fans spin up at all in my iMac, no matter what I am doing. Long renders in FCPX don't do anything.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

My iMac (2.9Ghz - 3.6Ghz i5 Haswell, 8Gb of RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 750m 1Gb GDDR5 VRAM, 1Tb HDD) once done a rendering job of a 1hr 40m video with an average of 3 layers of video throughout, several layers of audio throughout, video stabilisations, colour corrections... and it taken around 25 minutes to render and export. The final video file was over 10.5Gb and was 1080p. The fans were no more loader than usual throughout the whole process. My iMac is completely silent, but when in a completely silent room I can just hear it if I'm up close. My TV is louder than my iMac lol

5. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, thanks guys.

What about the CPU temps though? Apple is known for letting the CPU get very hot before spinning up the fans, which is worrying for the lifespan of the computer.

What sort of temps is the i7 iMac hitting during intensive tasks?

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Let's hope the TV volume is not on. Otherwise, that is not so impressive...

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

haha No. I am referring to the TV on silent. Even breathing is loader lol

8. librarian macrumors regular

should stay silent. If you software use the gpu for rendering, fan will kick in however.