iMac Help - Connecting to Wireless Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ceebee408, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ceebee408 macrumors newbie

Hi,

We just bought a new iMac to replace my girlfriend's 3 year old, fried iBook and are having problems connecting to the internet via our wireless router. I entered the WEP password and it appears that the Airport recognizes our router - the cone shaped airport icon shows a full 4 lines - but when I launch Safari, it says I am not connected to the internet.

I clicked on "network diagnostics", then "airport" as the network port configuration, then selected our wireless network. It then asks if we use PPPoE or DHCP. I'm not sure which we use but neither is working for me.

On the left side of the Network Diagnostic screen, it shows the Network Status. Airport is green, Airport Settings is green, Network Settings is yellow, ISP is red ("failed"), Internet is red, and Server is red.

My Powerbook is working with our wireless network just fine, so I don't think it's that. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

First step...since you have a machine that is working with the wireless router, have you compared the settings between the PowerBook and the iMac to see if they're identical?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try rebooting the router and then the imac. it may fix it.

4. ceebee408 thread starter macrumors newbie

System Updates...

Thanks for the responses. Turns out there was some compatibility issues with 10.5 and our wireless modem, so the second Mac support guy I talked with had me install the 10.5.1 update and everything is working fine now.

I'm glad it's working, but it would have been much nicer if the first Mac support guy I talked with had suggested this instead of telling me there was a problem with our WEP encryption, and that our ISP needed to take care of it. Spending 3 hours on the phone with our ISP only to be back at square one was not my ideal Monday morning.

Oh well, lesson learned: keep up with your system updates (even if you bought the computer brand new the day before).

5. karbone macrumors newbie

help me connect too

Situation: I bought a New Imac and macbook, but have an existing pc and printer hardwired (ethernet) to wireless ADSL gateway modem.

New imac and macbook recognise the network wirelessly, but will not connect to internet.

I am currently with telstra bigpond, and I have the wep key and password, but it still wont connect.

What should I do? HELPMEPLEASE!

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried to disable the security your wireless? Maybe you’re not putting in the right keys. As I think I read somewhere you need to put $ in front of the key and after the key.

7. karbone macrumors newbie

8. karbone macrumors newbie

Cracked Imac Screen

I Am So Sad! My New 24" Imac Screen Cracked Only 1 Day After Installation And Set Up. I Took It Back, And Service Centre At First Said It Was Not Covered Under Warranty (i Was Devastated). However, After Additional Inspection, They Noticed That The Glass Screen Was Mounted Without An Expansion Gap On 2 Edges - And Perhaps This Was The Cause. Still Waiting To Hear On The Result. Please Support Me Apple!!!!