iMac help logon screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mthompson25, Dec 19, 2007.

1. mthompson25 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've justgot this new iMac seems like an old one that may mate got from work (Recycling IT) I load it up and I just get a logon screen but noone knows the username / password. Also I don't have a USB Mouse / Keyboard spare to try logging in at the moment. Is there anyway to hack it or format it so I can get it running? I can get a new mouse and keyboard pretty easily.

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

You're either going to need the original installation disk that came with the Mac to find out the usernames and passwords on that machine, or you need to reinstall OS X.

If you're comfortable with the terminal, you can at least find the usernames by booting into single user mode. While in single user mode, start from your home folder and open the Users directory, here you should see all the home folders on the machine. Their names will be the usernames for your mac. Note that this won't give you their passwords, though.

3. fabulous-rich macrumors newbie

Thankyou wightstraker. (btw, I'm the guy who is friends with the OP.) We navigated round the terminal and ran a command that reset Admin and ran Setup again on reboot, allowing us to create a new user. Sorted.
    :cool:

4. wightstraker macrumors regular

Glad to here it. Is there really such a command in OS X? What is it? Sounds like a security risk if you ask me.

5. fabulous-rich macrumors newbie

Code:
    rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
    I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's a security risk. It was like switching the Mac on the first time, but everything from before seemed to remain on the Hard Disk.