iMac: help me decide!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aartoodeetoo, Jun 23, 2013.

1. aartoodeetoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

It's time for a new computer, and I think that after nearly 25 years as a windows user, it's time to jump to the other side... I've had an iPhone for the last 4 years, and also an ipad. I love the fact that they just work, and the 2012 iMac just looks great.

I'll be using it for lightweight stuff really, I use photoshop elements on my current pc, along with office and some website design. If I'm going to get an iMac, I'd really like it to be able to run F1 2012, but that's about the only gaming I'll be doing.

My budget would stretch to the higher spec 21.5", I'd get it with 16gb ram and the 1tb fusion drive - I know that'd do me just fine for the basic stuff, but would it run f1 2012? The other option could be the base 27", with the fusion drive, and upgrade the ram at a later date.

Any opinions gratefully received!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I made the switch myself last year and have the specs you mention. Great machine and it really is so much quicker than any PC I ever had. Anyway a quick web search shows the games minimum REQUIREMENTS

OS
    Mac OS X 10.7.5
    Processor
    2GHz Intel
    RAM
    4GB
    Hard Disk
    12GB
    Graphics
    512MB
    Drive*
    DVD
    Input
    Keyboard
    Recommended Requirements
    OS
    Mac OS X 10.8.2
    Processor
    2.4GHz Intel
    RAM
    8GB
    Hard Disk
    12GB
    Graphics
    1GB
    Input
    Game Pad
    The following graphics cards are not supported: ATI X1xxx series, ATI HD2xxx series, Intel GMA series, Intel HD3000, NVIDIA 7xxx series, NVIDIA 8xxx series, NVIDIA 9400 and NVIDIA 320M.
    * Disc drive required only for boxed (non-download) games.
    HD 4000 graphics cards are supported but for the best performance we recommend that you have at least 8GB of system RAM.

3. soomster macrumors regular

soomster

4. aartoodeetoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, interesting stuff... I'd already seen the specs for F1 2012, and I'm just wondering if someone out there with the same spec imac I'm looking at might offer an opinion on how well it runs.

Another (of many!) questions is about the fusion drive - I understand the theory behind it, but in the real world, for the usage I've described, is it worth the extra £200?

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I have a 2011 ( happy now guys ? ) i7 27inch, and by far the best purchase I've made.

Will be getting another in 2014.

6. KaraH macrumors 6502

If you want to upgrade the ram later you basically have to go for the 27". A ram upgrade on the other one involves taking apart the machine.

7. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Totally agree

8. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I also agree ;)

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Sorry I don't really game on mine. I use the Xbox for that.
    I would say the Fusion drive is totally worth it. If your planning on keeping it a long time, the fusion drive should keep it up to date for longer. Also because the most regularly used stuff is on the SSD its super quite and speedy.

10. spinnerbug macrumors newbie

IMAC 27inch

I just got my new 27 in IMAC last week. It is great and fast. I have the 8 GB Ram, 500 SSD , 680 video card, 2 LACIE ext HD's for data, 2 monitors, one is the IMAC and other is an LG 24 in digital screen. Everything works great and is fast. Love the SSD and hope it does all they say it will do. Boots up in 19 sec.

I had a 13 in Macbook that is now 6.5 yrs old and still going strong, but slow. Could not upgrade to Mt. Lion on it, so I made the decision to upgrade now. Use it as my CD burner etc.

I don't think you could go wrong with 27 In IMAC and I would recommend not the fusion drive, but go SSD 500 or 768 and put data on ext HD. Then you are fast for sure. :)

11. aartoodeetoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the pointers - i've made my decision... Going for a 27" base model, with the 1tb fusion drive. I'm going to hold off for the moment though - i'll be moving house at some point soon, so hopefully this iMac refresh people keep talking about will happen at some point in the next 6 weeks, then the wait'll be even more worth it!

12. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I'm shopping too...i've seen a lot of tests and threads that say the 680 video card is a very worthwhile upgrade bang for buck wise.

13. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

If there is an iMac refresh within six weeks, I'll give you all my computers.