iMac : Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UglyLittleSpud, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    #1
    Okay, here's the situation: I currently have an early 2008 MacBook Pro 2.2, and I have the opportunity to get the 2009 20'' iMac 2.66 for £661 (it's two months old with receipt!). Do I trade up? Or keep the MacBook Pro? I have to admit that I never take the MBP out of the house, but only use it around the house i.e on the sofa.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    If you can afford it without trading/selling you MBP buy it.
     
  3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #3
    Can you post more detailed specs of both computers?
     
  4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #4
    hmmmmm i dont know... having a portable computer is awsome....

    does the iMac have the 4850 in it?? (or whatever it is). might be a tad better for gaming but other then that (personally) i wouldnt upgrade..(downgrade).
     
  5. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #5
    The 2.2Ghz MBP has the 8600M GT which is supposedly faulty, or has the potential to fail in the future. The 2.66Ghz iMac would be much better than the MBP since it has the faster 9400M, bigger screen, faster processor etc.

    And if you always use it at home, then go for it.

    However, before we get ahead of ourselves, you cannot use an iMac on the couch. :p
     
  6. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #6
    No. Apple offers only 9400M for 20"
     
  7. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    #7
    Yep -

    2.2 MacBook Pro, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HD, 8600M GT

    2.66 20'' iMac, 2Gb Ram, 320GB HD, 9400M

    It's a 'one or the other' deal unfortunately, I can't really afford to keep both.

    **Forgot to mention that the MBP is under Applecare until Jan 2011 in case the 8600M fails..
     
  8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #8
    Sure you can with some glasses/binoculars and a wireless keyboard and mouse!

    What size is the MBP screen?... I wouldn't bother spending more in this case unless you need the extra graphics for well.. graphics (video/photo/3d modeling). Save the extra money you would spend and get more RAM for your MBP!
     
  9. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #9
    Do you need more power? You could just get a nice external monitor for your MBP to make it a desktop.
     
  10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #10
    right, my mistake

    hmmmmmm.. im almost considering saying go for the iMac!! it has better 'longevity'. it will be supported for longer, there is more expandability (HD, RAM?) etc. and of course, more power!!!
     
  11. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    #11
    As for the screen size, it's the 15'' MBP.

    If I were to go for the iMac, what are the chances of me getting £600-700 for the MBP?? Not good?
     
  12. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #12
    Laptop market is quite tough now, so many are selling their old for new one. You can always try
     
  13. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #13
    Go for the iMac unless you play games or require powerful graphics in other apps.

    8600 is about twice as fast as 9400 and it doesn't eat 256 MB of your system RAM while slowing it down simultaneously :rolleyes:

    I'd keep the MBP, honestly. Faster graphics, portability and backlit keyboard are the reasons.
     
  14. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    #14
    Looks like I'll be keeping the MBP, and maybe get an external monitor. Always tempting to get the shiny, new stuff though.....damn you Apple :):apple:
     
  15. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #15
    Way too tempting!
     

Share This Page