iMac help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shameinyou, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Shameinyou macrumors newbie

I have a early 2008 intel 24 inch iMac..a few weeks ago the screen started to flicker really badly so I turned it off and let it sit for awhile..a few hours later I turned it on and got the image below and at this point it wouldn't even get past the white screen..so I unplugged it and let it sit for a day or so..when I turned it back on it started up like normal and everything seemed like it was 100%...after a hour or so the screen started to flicker again and the whole thing froze..so now I know it's more or less shot all I want to do is get it to the desktop once more so I can do a time machine backup before I take it in..i let it sit unplugged for about a week and a half and just yesterday I turned it on and after a few tries it went straight to the desktop w.o any issues..but that lasted for 10 mins only cause now all I get is the screen below and it's running really hot..ugh please tell me there is a way I can get one last backup in

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have another Mac with Firewire or a Windows PC with Firewire and MacDrive (the 7-day trial can help), try Target Disk Mode.

3. Shameinyou thread starter macrumors newbie

I read up on that unfortunately all I have is a iPad and a tower pc w. USB only

4. Shameinyou thread starter macrumors newbie

Would a USB to FireWire cable / adapter work for target disk mode???

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Those do not exist, nor would it work anyhow.

6. Shameinyou thread starter macrumors newbie

So target disk mode is basically my only option??