Imac Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by boogieman, Apr 24, 2012.

1. boogieman macrumors regular

So its been a really long time since I have had a Imac(20 inch G5 I believe was the last). MacPro 2.26 user since it was new. Lotsa problems with it lately video card is about had so forth and so on.. Really starting to nickel and dime me to death. I really am interested in the Imacs. I just dont know if I can hold out till new ones if they are soon or not. I am leaning toward the 27 inch 2.7 and maxing out ram instantly and adding ssd myself. How bad am I gonna miss the power of the Mac Pro? Usage includes heavy i photo and ripping and encoding bluray movies and burning home movies to bluray. Casual gaming. But mostly the bluray rips and burning and encoding home movies. Sorry to ramble but on vacation and have a broke Mac Pro at home killing me and have the money in hand for the 2.7 Imac.

2. boogieman thread starter macrumors regular

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

For what you've described an iMac will be just fine.

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

+ 1

5. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

That's a perfect workflow for an iMac. Apple is silent as usual, of course, but the consensus hereabouts is that we're on the verge of a refresh, possibly as soon as this week but in any case by mid-May at worst. Some of the comments Cook and Oppenheim made in yesterday's earnings call only make sense if an iMac refresh lands within the next few weeks. I've got a 2009 iMac that's ready for a light-duty retirement so I'm right there with you waiting for the refresh -- I suggest holding out just a little longer. :D

6. boogieman thread starter macrumors regular

So the i5 2.7 would handle it as good as my macpro does now or alot slower?