imac help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by carlo4153, Jan 30, 2015.

1. carlo4153 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have replaced a faulty hard drive, and was ready to install a fresh os. There is now a problem with the optical drive, to be honest there has always been a problem with it spitting out discs. Rather than going to all the trouble of removing the screen taking out the optical drive, would I be able to boot and fresh install from an imac super drive. Already tried with a standard usb drive, but doesnt boot.

Thanks in advance

2. Nosferax macrumors regular

Can't you just do an online recovery with cmd-R at boot?
    My 2010 iMac as a defective optical drive too, but I've pretty much only used cmd-R to restore it for the last 3 OSX version now.

3. carlo4153 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Nosferax

Already replaced the hard drive, which has now, no os, and my next step was to install from the mac discs. Can i by pass the optical drive on boot, with one of those external usb mac drives.. if i bought one.

All I have on screen is an empty folder with the question mark icon in, internal optical drive just spits the disc out

4. Nosferax macrumors regular

Have you tried holding down the C key while starting your mac?

5. carlo4153 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes tried holding done C key to no avail, all morning yesterday., is their anyway I can boot from USB device.. this doesnt work from a standard CD USB drive, hence why I was asking about the mac external drives

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes you can, but you need a second Mac to create a bootable USB first.

7. carlo4153 thread starter macrumors newbie

can i do this on a normal mac book? Yjchua95, or does it have to be the same make and model

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Put the CD into the drive and press and hold the option key to see if that works. I don't think it will but its worth a shot.

9. carlo4153 thread starter macrumors newbie

that doesnt work, may clone the original drive that was in with the new one

10. Nosferax macrumors regular

I can be done on any mac

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any Mac with a USB port. After all, a Mac is a Mac, and OS X on one Mac is exactly the same as OS X on another Mac.

12. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

This method should work. When you hold down the option key at startup, the USB disc should pop up. Unless the CD that you have isn't a bootable install disc??