iMac help :/

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DemeanorRis, Oct 8, 2009.

1. DemeanorRis macrumors newbie

I was wondering from all the iMac users as well. How do you put your computer to turn off the screen but the computer is still running and such? Because at night when I sleep, I leave mine on but the screen light just bothers me and I can't sleep so I was wondering what the other iMac people do when they leave theirs on.

(Hope he made sense)

2. muskett32 macrumors member

I don't know much, but this one I know the answer to:
    Hold CTRL + SHIFT + EJECT

3. DemeanorRis thread starter macrumors newbie

mac help :/

thank you.

Question:

would it hurt the imac in the long run?

4. maclearning macrumors member

Put your computer to sleep

Very easy way to put your computer to sleep. This will "keep computer running without the screen on".

Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner. Choose "sleep" from the drop down menu... That's it.

Push any button on your keyboard and the computer will wake up again. Repeat all you want, it won't hurt your iMac at all.

5. DemeanorRis thread starter macrumors newbie

:d

what about control-shift-eject? would that hurt my imac at all?

6. muskett32 macrumors member

I think you'll get varying opinions on this one. CTRL-SHIFT-EJECT will just turn the screen off. Everything else stays running (although I think if you have the TURN OFF HARD DISKS WHEN POSSIBLE setting turned on, your hard drive will spin down). Personally, don't think there would be terrible effects from keeping it on all the time.

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There's an energy saver setting to turn off the screen automatically after a certain period of inactivity if you don't want the computer to sleep (e.g. you're running maintenance or folding at home or something overnight).