iMac - Home Security via inbuilt webcam ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tumbleweed666, May 17, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find any links here, "home security" mostly gets discussions on handguns :D so I would welcome pointers to existing info as it must be out there.

I'm looking for something for use when I am away from home, that monitors the field of view of the webcam on an iMac and triggers an alert of some kind if it detects movement. Maybe sends me a text message, uploads a picture to a website, perhaps even lets me connect and have a look.

I'd rather have a simple, easy to use, solution even if its not free, than one that takes a lot of engineering on my part, but simple free "homebrew" is obviously better.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Two choices, AFAIK.

iVeZeen $15 from Boinx

iRis free from Softonic

3. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks

I wish to award Boinx the "Worst Ever WebPage For Describing What A Product Does" award.

It says 'motion detection' and thats it, no further description, no link to follow to find out more, no link to access the manual. That same webpage does tell the reader that apple have 'released OSX 10.5' and also that there is a serious bug with the latest release of ivezeen (what in heck is that name meant to get across?) ... "i've zeen their cr*p website"??

I"ll check out iris, thanks.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

LOL! Something tells me it's not their biggest seller.

5. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

A bit more searching and I found two apps that seem to do (according to their blurb) what I want, KeycamX and Evocam.

6. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

7. mstam macrumors member

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It can be helpful. I read a story where a girl got her MacBook stolen and guess what, the picture it emailed to her email address helped cops catch the guy.

9. MrENGLISH macrumors regular

Considering you can set things like this up to instant email you a pic (not to mention record video too) of the theft in action, you could easily call the police and have the person arrested before they even leave your house. Any time I go on vacation I set this up on my Macs and have my iPhone ready for any email alerts :D

10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I second Evocam.

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Stumbled into this thread. Some great suggestions, going to play with those apps. Thanks everyone. :cool:

12. CyrusOz macrumors regular

I recently trialled Evocam and found it to be quite useful, although not anywhere near as useful as decent infrared cameras with a decent sized DVR but nonetheless a pretty cool program. I only found one problem and that was when I wanted to use a webcam other than the inbuilt one in my Imac it didn't want to recognise it. It will give you options to choose a handycam etc from a small selection of other video inputs but there was a lack of ability to use a third party webcam e.g. logitech webcam and then plug it into the imac using a few metres of USB extension cable then use that logitech webcam instead of the built in one. My Imac is locked in my office which has a window that overlooks my front door and I felt that if I could use an extension cord to another logitech webcam then I could monitor who came to my front door via this cool little program.... has anybody ever tried to use an add-on webcam rather than the inbuilt webcam?

13. marvin-r macrumors newbie

A monitored alarm system helps to avoid the hassle and potential fines associated with false alarms. In addition to ensuring a rapid response to break-ins, they can be integrated with other safety systems to protect your in the event of fire, carbon monoxide, or medical emergency.home security

14. 2012Tony2012, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Get iSentry, it's FREE and works great :)

The only problem is though that it doesn't detect motion in a dark room:(

15. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

did you seriously pulled up a 4 year old thread?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Two comments:

1. User 2012Tony2012's post was helpful because now anybody that finds this thread via a Google search will have a current and good answer to their question.

2. I never would have seen this thread had you not bumped it a second time with your comment.