iMac - HP7960 - shared printing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacUserSince87, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MacUserSince87 macrumors member

I'm currently using an HP7960 Photosmart printer on my G4 AGP. The G4 is hardwired to a Linksys Wireless router (currently used to connect a PC laptop) and does not have an Airport card.

I'm getting an iMac 24".

1) Will the iMac support the HP7960 out of the box or will I need to copy the drivers and support apps. from the G4?

2) I realize I can connect the iMac wirelessly via the LinkSys but plan to hardwire both it and the G4 to the router. That being the case what is the best strategy for sharing the HP7960 printer? I'll be doing most of my photo editing / printing on the iMac.

Thanks,
    Chuck Gardner
    iMac 24" 2.8 (currently somewhere over the Pacific Ocean)

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

You should install the same version driver (Universal, PPC plus intel), so that you can share the printer from Mac to Mac. The old G4 driver won't be good for this. (Having the same version is important so the preferences files are identical.)
    Connect the printer to the iMac and share it from there.

3. MacUserSince87 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply...

I had initially used the printer under OS 9.2 but the HP driver was so buggy its one of the main reasons I finally switched over to OS X (currently 10.3.9). I downloaded the OS X driver from HP and printer its info dialog says its v 3.0 but printer selector info says 3.1. I check the HP site and 3.1 is the latest Universal driver listed for the printer.

I found the list of installed 10.4 drivers with a Google search:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301175#hpdrivers

It lists the 7900 Series as being supported, but using Driver 2.7.1 FWIW - The 7900 wasn't include in the 10.3 list

So how do I resolve the difference between the driver versions since the G4 apparently has a newer version? Install the newer 3.1 version on the iMac. Do I need to remove the old one first? If so how is that done - I'm still a bit of a noob with configuring OS X

Thanks,
    Chuck

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

You should be able to print, but you may not be able to make basic selections like page size. So let's focus on getting it to print first. On the server (I guess the G4?) do you have printer sharing ON in sharing prefs? Do you have any non-apple firewall installed? If so, you'll have to set that to allow print sharing, too.

On the client, when you click Add in Printer Setup, does the printer show up?

(wired or wireless doesn't matter - same comm protocol, just different hardware)

5. MacUserSince87 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have the iMac yet... I'm just trying to gather info at this point...