imac HUGE problem here.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gabichon, May 12, 2012.

1. Gabichon, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

Gabichon macrumors member

Hey MacRumors users, I need your help to determine what problem my 2011 27" iMac has. I've been reading everyones issues for months, and was happy that mine had none of them, but now, mine has a BIG BIG problem (I think) and I never seen this before on the forums.

It only started 2 days ago (bought it 9 months ago on august 4th 2011). And now it became worse than when it started. It started with some kind of snow in the display.. it's hard to explain and some flickering. Now, it's completely ****ed up. It started when I was using a lot of windows at once, and didn't really did this before.. so maybe the broblem didn't happen before because I wasn't using the compter's multitasking capabilities, but now that I do, it's ****ed up..? I don't think it is a heat issue cause I use SMCfancontrol to speed up the fans a bit, and monitor the temps with iStat nano and I know all fans work properly.

When I use the computer and the problem appears, I can still use the computer until the display goes COMPLETELY black and works no more. Then I have to shut down the computer and wait like 5 minutes be fore the display works again..

Now when I use the computer I notice it's alot slower than when the problem started and the problem doesn't show up if I only do things like browsing in safari, iTunes, etc. But when I play games with multiples windows, BAM, here it is again. Oh and when the problem appears if I put the computer to sleep and then wake up, the problem is gone and doesn't show up for a while..:confused:

Edit: And now it's not only the display now the computer freezes when I Play games and I need to shut it down with the power button.

My guess is that it could be the GPU or the motherbord.

I posted 2 videos of the problem on youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OhSJ0-XsvM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZmGeWiRRs&feature=youtu.be

Here are the specs of the machine:

Intel core i5 3.1Ghz
    12GB DDR3 ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6970m 1GB
    1TB Hard drive
    Running on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

So what do you guys think the problem is and how much would the repair cost? :(
    Thank you for reading and your help is really appreciated :)

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Have you taken it in an Apple store yet and have them look at it? Rather than post youtube videos I would think that you would want a professional to look at your problem.

3. Gabichon, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Well I sure will go to the Apple store but not soon, closest Apple store is 4hrs of driving and carrying that huge thing isn't too easy :/

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

That's too bad, that is a lot of driving. Unfortunately, this strikes me as an issue that will require you to take it in.

5. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Well, thanks for your reply. :)

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't drive that far. Here's an important question. Is all of your data backed up? It's normal to maintain backups, but when someone is having computer trouble, that's my first question.

Okay regarding the drive, it's not worth it. You'd drive that. They'd still have to service it, so you'd be driving it another day to pick it up. I would just call their warranty service and arrange for shipping. If you don't have applecare, keep an eye on when your warranty expires.

I would put a call in as soon as you can, even if you won't be sending it in just yet. They may also be able to refer you to a local authorized repair center. It doesn't have to be the Apple store, and it's not worth such a long drive just to take it directly to Apple. Some of the authorized repair shops are actually quite good, and their techs are (in my experience) often more knowledgeable than the "Geniuses" at the Apple Store.

7. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the help, I will sure do a backup and try to call Apple :)

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

9. lefooey macrumors member

You might try putting the original RAM back in it and testing it that way first. Many unusual issues like this are caused by failing RAM.

(You mentioned it has 12GB in it, however that model ships with 4GB).

10. Roller macrumors 68020

Agree with this. Also, even if there's not an Apple store nearby, there may be an authorized service center close by as an alternative to shipping.

11. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I had an issue because my iMac died last year (under applecare), it would have been a 5 hour drive to the nearest apple retail store just for them to look at it. When I called apple, they directed me to a computer repair service center only 30 minutes away (Connecting Point Computers in Medford, Oregon.)

Another time I had an iPhone charger die, they simply send me another one, with a package to return the defective one. I think it was shipped fedex.

Although I prefer to deal with apple directly, at least they have though about those who live far away from a service center, so we are not at the mercy of the "geek squad."

12. Gabichon, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah and I think you were right, I removed the two 4GB kingston sticks that I added and it seems to be working better now.. but not 100% perfect, my computer still just freezes when the GPU reaches 90-95 celsius (before problem has started GPU could go to 100 celsius and no freeze (fans did spin faster tho), before removing kingston RAM was freezing at 75-80 Celsius but the kind of "snowing" and green and multicolor lines are now gone.

13. Gabichon thread starter macrumors member

Update : no, the RAM is defininetly not the issue here, I tried the 4 RAM sticks one by one in every RAM slot and problem still the same.

14. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

You have AppleCare!

You are still within one year of purchase. You are fully covered under AppleCare. The choice one makes at time of purchase is to EXTEND that to 3 years by paying an extra premium, but everyone gets one year as part of their initial purchase. That being said, Apple will either fix your problem, or give you a new computer. You will be a happy customer, I promise. I recommend calling your closest Apple store (so you can talk to a person), and they will direct you from there. I don't think your only option is going to embark on a 16 hour road trip (there and back again, x 2).

Get 'er done.

15. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Agree with that :D

Sounds like the GPU is frying/failing.