iMac Humming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kauai, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Our family recently bought a brand new 27 inch iMac from an Apple authorized retailer in Southern, Oregon. All was great at first, until today I notice a hum coming from the machine. Tried reading around and it seems to have something to do with the WD HDD's perhaps? Either way, this is fairly unacceptable for a 1700 computer. Anyone else having this problem?

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-try these

-place imac on a towel (to see if noise is vibration on desk)
    -only have imac plugged into wall or powerbar (nothing else)
    -have you tryed turning off and then back on?

3. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I placed it on a mousepad, and that may have dampened it ever so slightly but it was still audible.

I've placed it on a wooden desk, and that was just as bad as the other desk.

It's only plugged into an AC Extender.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

looks like you may need to take back...oh well...

5. penduboy macrumors member

taking it back isn't gonna help. I changed my 2011 27" iMac i7 5 times but still have this hard drive humming sound/pop corn sound (whatever you wanna call it). I got machines with Seagate as well as WD with same sound issues. I guess, we have to live with this flaw even though we are paying premium price for these machines.

Other than that I am enjoying my first ever Mac for the last few months now.

Hope this will help.

Pendu

6. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

7. weckart macrumors 68040

There are two potential sources for the humming: Either the rotation of the hard drive is causing vibrations to travel down the stand into the desk or the internal power supply itself is at fault. If the former, then try dampening, as you are likely to encounter this with any replacement from Apple. If the latter, try returning or having the psu looked at.

A towel helped in my case, although the humming is still noticeable in a quiet room. I am going to get a thick rubber mat to see if that helps matters further as my iMac is sitting on a wooden desk.