imac hyperthreading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goher2000, Sep 15, 2011.

1. goher2000 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

how do i check if hyperthreading is enabled or disabled. I have imac 2.93 ghz intel core i7 with 16gb 1333 mhz ddr3.

thnx

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is enabled. Open Activity Monitor and count the CPU Usage boxes. You should have twice as many boxes as you do cores. Example: If you see four CPU Usage boxes and have a dual core CPU, then its enabled.

3. goher2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

imac hyperthreading

Thanks , all I can see one partition or box for cpu, it use to be displaying 8 boxes/partitions in 'CPU Usage' when i click on cpu in the activity manager. not sure why it is displaying only one box/partition now. my mac book pro display 4 boxes stacked on each other when i click on 'CPU'.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Activity Monitor could have a limit as to how many CPU Usage boxes it can show. Why do you have reason to believe HyperThreading is turned off?

5. goher2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

well only reason is it was displaying graph of 8 cpus before and now displaying only for one. I paid for 8 cores. wana see 8 cores regardless am using them or not. can you please confirm if this is activity monitor limitations.can i configure it to display 8 graphs i.e one for each cpu. activity monitor versions seems to be same on my imac and mac book pro i.e 10.6 (212)

Regards

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You only paid for four cores. The other four are virtual cores. I can lt test the limitations of Activity Monitor, because I don't have anything with that many threads. I'm still very sure your iMac is working properly and there is nothing to worry about.