iMac I3 or I5 for future CPU upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bodtwo, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bodtwo, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

bodtwo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Sorry that should say entry I5 against 3.1 I5.

Thinking of taking the plunge and buying my first iMac. It will be used for lightroom and some light Photoshop use. We'll be going for the 27" model and I'm looking at an entry I5. The question I have is would I be able to upgrade the CPU in a couple of years and if yes would I have more upgrade options in the future if I buy an entry I5 rather than an 3.1I5 or even an I7 now?

New to Macs but have built enough PC's with future proofing built in by buying the right motherboard and CPU family and am interested in doing similar with an iMac.

Thanks for the help.

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Buy the best you can afford, the i7 will give you the most future-proofing, so if you can run to it then get it.
    Theoretically the cpu's in iMacs are upgradeable but I'd guess that when a worthwhile sucessor came out to the current cpu line up (I'm talking major jump, not a clock speed bump) then it'll use a totally different socket anyway.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

External GPU via Thunderbolt is a possibility. But we're not quite there yet, so we wouldn't know if it's gonna pan out or just disappear into thin air.

If this happens, iMac's lifetime can be enhanced by just getting future hi-end GPU and plug it in via Thunderbolt chassis.

For CPU, well i5 and i7 is already a great option, even for another 3 or 4 years from now I guess