iMac i5 vs i7 for Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by kcnish, Sep 15, 2010.

1. kcnish macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am planning on picking up an iMac, for recording, light video editing, and light gaming, but I still have to decide on whether to get the i5 or i7. I want to be able to run Diablo 3 flawlessly. Which processor would be best for this?

Thanks,
    kcnish

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Either. Really it comes down to this, if the extra dollars are of no consequence buy the i7. Better yet, buy a refurb and pocket the change. If you buy the i5 you can use what you save for some extra memory.

I really doubt either machine will be taxed by D3. I run LOTRO through Parallels on my machine with most of the high options enabled and I don't have problems with performance and I am quite sure that LOTRO is more demanding than D3 can be; especially since I have to run it through a VM

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If Diablo 3 comes 2012 or later - which in my opinion is the most likely scenario - either iMac should run it at low settings maybe even at native resolution. Since I expect a release 2-3 years from now I doubt one can expect more from todays iMacs mobile gpu.

To the poster above, LOTRO is from 2007 so Diablo 3 could be much more demanding.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The GPU is more important than the CPU. Since they both have the same GPU, I would just get the cheaper model. i7 may give you a frame or two more

5. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

The graphics card in the new iMacs should be able to run it at better than lowest settings.

The 9600 in my old MBP ran SC2 at mid to high perfect, and the iMac runs circles around any MBP. The new iMac can run CoD:MW2 at max settings in Bootcamp.

Diablo 3's graphics aren't going to be industry stand in 2012. It's been in development for, what, 5 years now? You can tell by the videos that it's not extensively graphics intensive. It's low poly, soft texture models on low poly soft texture terrain.

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yes but your mbp had 1440x900 pixels to push, the iMac has 2560x1440!

7. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Fair enough, but the iMac can still run MW2, which has better textures, more dynamic lighting, and higher poly models than Diablo 3 on max (-AA, but I don't think Blizzard really uses that, do they?) in bootcamp. Surely that's got to translate to better than lowest settings for D3, yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klg4C32xYoo

(that's an i5, too)

8. Decesus macrumors newbie

Both should be fine for Diablo 3, and as the people above me have said, it's going to be your GPU that matters.

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Maybe, but personally I'd say it depends on when it comes out.

My now sold iMac with the ati 2600hd ran MW1 at most settings maxed, but Starcraft2 was only playable on low. That's a pretty similar comparison.

10. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I probably don't have the experience to really make a call here. I've never owned an iMac so I don't have first hand knowledge of what it's like to run on a giant screen.

I wish Apple would let us get a 21/24 inch i7 with a good card, although there might be a heat issue.

11. kcnish thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for all the info. I think im going to go for the i7!