iMac i5 vs i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flht, Aug 11, 2011.

1. flht macrumors newbie

I've got the iMac i5 and MBP i7, both 2011 models. I use Parallels to run stock trading software...no Apple software alternative. My little MBP seems to run the software better than the iMac. Is the i7 chip that much better? I have 12GB ram in the iMac and 8GB ram in the MBP. I'm giving some consideration to getting the iMac i7, just wondering if I'm really going to see a difference.

Tks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the software is heavily multithreaded and CPU intensive, then the i7 might be faster due to Hyper-Threading.

3. OutGolfn macrumors regular

+1 on the hyperthreading with the i7. It runs everything I throw at it fast

4. mac-ho macrumors member

The 27". 3.4, i7 with SSD is the FASTEST Mac. Only about $2700.00. Not that bad for #1. (For this week, anyway!)

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

How much faster do you need to run stock-trading software?

6. dcrichmond macrumors newbie

Stock Trading

I just brought the i7 with a SSD, and then I installed 16gb of ram. I also run Parallels for stock trading. I use Ninjatrader and use interactive brokers. It works better then my previous PC. I am very happy so far. I have 3 monitors. I set my Parallels with 2 cpus and 2gb of memory. It have read that it runs slower if you have two much dedicated memory and cpus.

7. flht thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Dcrichmond, say that again, but slower. Are you saying you have the Parallels set for 2 cpus and 2GB ram. I'm not very computer savvy, so speak slowly while my lips move. I think I have 4GB set for the Parallels. I am running two programs in parallels, with both open at the same time, Instaquote and another program for stock analysis. Each program receives data from different sources. I'm trying to reduce the latency to an absolute minimum. I've been considering a PC just for the trading software, but I would really like to stay with the iMac, just that MBP seems to run it so well versus the iMac. Trying to figure if I should trade it in for the i7 27". You can always use more monitor real estate. Besides then I could work my way to 2 additional 27" monitors and that would be a great setup I think.

8. dcrichmond macrumors newbie

Parallels

Yes I have parallels set for 2 cpus and 2gb of ram - Can change your setings under virtual machine/configure/ general. See if this helps.

I run 2 copies of parallels. My trading software runs under windows 7, and I also have a windows XP version running. My windows 7 machine runs two broker platforms - Interactive Brokers and ScottradeElite . I mostly trade future contracts. I also run NinaTrader (64 bit version) and AmiBroker programs for technical analysis. I do not notice any latency. I brought the top of the line iMac. This was the configuration from my invoice:

•
    PROCESSOR 065-0250 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    •
    MEMORY 065-0251 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB (upgrade to 16GB)
    •
    HARD DRIVE 065-0311 2TB Serial ATA Drive+256GB SSD
    •
    GRAPHICS 065-0312 AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    •
    MOUSE 065-0725 MAGIC TRACKPAD

Hope this helps

9. flht thread starter macrumors newbie

Dcrichmond, thanks for info. Took me a while to figure out how to get to the cpu/memory setup. I did that on the install and have never bothered to look since. I'm excited to see how this works next week....I guess I will do the same for my MBP. Somebody told me to use 1 cpu and that the memory adjusted to what it needs...but then why are options there if it doesn't make any difference.

I have the i5 with 12GB ram.

10. dcrichmond macrumors newbie

Let me know if it works - also try lowering your memory to 2gb.