imac i7 2.93 runs hot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by azbrd, Sep 1, 2010.

1. azbrd macrumors newbie

i just purchased a i7 2.93, system purforms great but it runs very hot. screen temp runs about 113F, top of the system runs >115F. Anyone else running this imac?

FYI when I say 113F that is on the outside so its like looking at a oven door. The top of the frame gets too hot to touch 115-124F, CPU does run around 150F.

This is a new system so OS is 10.6.4, it seems smcfancontrol does not work on this OS version, at least it does not adjust any of the fan speeds.

2. symbology macrumors regular

Sorry, but no, nobody else is running this iMac. That is why you do not see a "27inch i7 2.93GHZ Owners" thread.

could not resist. :D

My i7's have had issues, but extreme heat has not been one of them.

3. aki macrumors 6502a

There are many threads concerning temperature management in iMacs here, have a search around. The TLDR is consider something like Temperature Monitor or iStat and smcfancontrol if you want manual control over temps.

4. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Huh?

You gotta be kidding me.

113 degrees fahrenheit isn't hot for a computer system.

My system under heavy load pushes 150 degrees or more for the CPU.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I had that crap for fans and temps on my system only the first week.

Once I found out that my machine ran normal, I figured I didn't need it until a problem came up.

Otherwise seeing all the time means obsessing about it, and worrying all the time about a degree or three.

Figured, if any problems came up that was what Apple Care was for.

---

I only needed it AFTER my machine was repaired and it came back with a problem, seems they forgot to connect a temp probe, so it didn't report and triggered a full speed fan.