iMac I7, any reason to wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IDreamOfSpace, Jan 28, 2010.

1. IDreamOfSpace macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I've been lurking for awhile on this site and I finally decided to sign up!

I would love some advice from you! I will be purchasing a iMac 27" i7 from B&H tommorrow and I have some hesitation. Now that it is mid-product cycle, I'm wondering if I should wait for the next revision (I would like to have Blu-ray, but I'm not sure if Mac will ever have it). This is my first Mac, and I am not very experienced on how drastically Macs evolve from one revision to another.

I guess my question in a nut-shell is: Is it a good time based on current specs to purchase this model.

Thanks in advance!

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have a 27" i7 and love it!!

It's got all the horsepower I need to do transcoding video and audio.

The concept of "wait till the next revision" will always exist.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Blu-ray works fine on Macs so long as you use Make MKV and VLC or MPlayer Extended.

4. MacDuff2000 macrumors member

A 27" i7 was my first Mac that I used as my main computer (I had a Mac Mini that I played around with).

After 2 months I still love the i7. It took some getting used to, but it is still fun and exciting.

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1...people wont be satisfied ever...just get this one and a blue ray player and you'll be very happy!

6. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

im in the same one of the user who started the thread.

The question is, if the new imac's revision will be much greater of what is selling right now or just a small increment of it? :confused:

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm loving my i7 as well. If you're ready to buy now then go for it. It will serve you long and well.

Well, with Apple you never know but I wouldn't expect any major redesigns in the next release. More likely it will be a speed bump and I wouldn't expect that to happen any sooner than the summer.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Or even better than VLC/Mplayer Extended, Plex.

Plex + the 27-inch iMac = a match made in heaven. :D

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The problem with Plex is that Blu-ray disc playback is still not ready for prime-time. Perhaps in a few weeks it will be. For for disc playback, VLC and MPlayer Extended are about as good as it gets for Blu-ray discs ATM.

10. IDreamOfSpace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot everyone! I feel better about pulling the trigger on it now. Looking forward to ditching my emachines s-box with vista!!

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

True, but for now you can rip to MKV using MakeMKV and watch those rips in Plex with no problems. If you have an i7 it is a fairly speedy process as well :D