iMac I7 / Bootcamp -- XP or Win 7 ???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacMur, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MacMur macrumors regular

I am planning on getting a 27" I7 and will be using Windows via Bootcamp. I will be doing pretty basic and simple Windows tasks. Will XP get the job done or should I go to Windows 7 in order to get the latest bells and whistles?

Any help appreciated.

2. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

XP is still amazing in my eyes. However, it is getting old. Windows 7 is secure, fast, and aesthetically pleasing. If you want to stay current I'd say go with Windows 7. You won't be disappointed.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you already have a copy of XP or Windows 7?
    Cost could be a factor

Windows 7 is a pretty good product
    But if you have minimal requirements and a copy of XP, why spend the money?

If you need Windows 7, go for it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Win7 if possible (especially if you don't have a copy of XP on hand).

5. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Win 7.

I had removed Win7 to play some older games (Medal of Honor AA) but then I forgot how XP 32 only lets me use 4GB of RAM, and the window management (no Aero Snap) and other stuff.

I had XP Pro on my i7 for about 2 hours.

Then Apple released the 3.1 BC drivers, so back Win7 went.

6. MacMur thread starter macrumors regular

Ah the new drivers may be the deciding factor. I had heard of some people having problems with 7 and I wanted trouble free. ( I know it's Microsoft) I do have a copy of XP that I installed on a previous unit. I removed it from that unit and I believe that I can now install it on another machine. I'm not too sure how Microsoft knows that I have done that. However I have been wanting to try 7 so I may just bite the bullet.

Thanks

7. aki macrumors 6502a

you've decided already maybe.... but i say win7

xp runs fine but it is old

win7 is fast and more secure.... and even if right now you plan to use windows only for something simple you might change your mind in 6 months or whatever

i really think unless cost is issue or something its just not sane to install xp on a windows system anymore... theres just no reason to deliberately choose an old vulnerable os

imho :)