Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hi guys,

I was having problems with overheating last night in Windows 7 in that a few apps started freezing and I noticed that the top of my iMac was scorchingly hot even when I wasn't doing anything. I downloaded MacFan and used it to up the minimum fan speeds, and it worked as I wanted it to. Upon rebooting into Mac OS X, however, I think the fan speed increase carried over and was excessive, because I can hear my fans going even when I'm not doing anything and the top of my case is barely even warm (whereas before it was somewhere between very hot and painful). I opened up smcFanControl and it's reporting ODD/HDD/CPU speeds of 2000/2500/1500, but it also has those numbers as the listed minimums on the sliders, so I can't decrease them beyond that. I'm pretty sure I can get around that by hacking the preferences file, but that requires that I actually know what the default Apple fan speeds are.

So my question is, can someone with an i7 iMac who HASN'T messed with their fan speeds open up smcFanControl and tell me what the minimum speeds are?

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
It shouldn't be overheating in Windows. The EFI should kick in, even if you're not in OS X.

Are you sure it's not a dodgy memory stick?

If it was overheating nobody could use Windows 7 and Apple wouldn't have released drivers.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
It shouldn't be overheating in Windows. The EFI should kick in, even if you're not in OS X.

Are you sure it's not a dodgy memory stick?

If it was overheating nobody could use Windows 7 and Apple wouldn't have released drivers.

It's possible that the crash was a coincidence and that my temperature were within specs, but I'm quite sure that my machine gets hotter in Windows 7 and the fans spin slower than they normally do in OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.