iMac i7 or Mac Pro quad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timgman, Oct 22, 2010.

1. timgman macrumors newbie

I am a professional vector illustrator and graphic designer. I work out of my NYC apartment, so my computer is for both professional and personal use. I have very much considered buying the iMac i7, but I have never worked on an iMac so I'm a little worried that the system might not be enough for my needs. Currently, I use the main Adobe CS software (PS, Ai, ID) and have begun working more in Flash and Dreamweaver.

It seems that Mac Pro might be overkill for me since I don't do heavy 3D rendering or video editing.

Currently I am running a:
    Dual 2.3 Power PC G5 Tower
    3 GB Ram
    250GB HDD
    with
    23" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

I need to upgrade to an Intel based machine to be able to use the newer adobe CS 5, and other "Intel only" software.

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMac is about as fast as base Mac Pro. The real question with Mac Pro is, do you need the upgradeability (internal HDs, PCIe cards)? If you don't, then you can just go with the iMac since you wouldn't get much bang for your buck if you went with the Mac Pro as you wouldn't use its features.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get the MacPro. Today's overkill machine is tomorrow's sluggard... it will serve you for years to come. Besides, you're a designer so read this.

4. timgman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have seen that thread and that the iMac screen is another concern. When I've seen the iMac screen in person it seems just beautiful, but if I can't see color tints that is a huge issue.

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The problem isn't so much the tint, but color accuracy. While very nice to look at, it's going to be difficult (or impossible) to print and color match with an iMac screen.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Remember that you can still use the 23" ACD if you like that more. I've heard that the iMac's screen is not photographer's dream but that can be solved by using an external monitor.