Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerricP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Hi!

I currently have a macbook pro that is going on 4 years old and I am looking to upgrade to either a MBP 15'' i7 or a 27'' iMac i7.

I work as a university researcher and use both mac and windows applications - especially geographic information systems. I would love to improve the ergonomics of my workspace by adding a desktop display - I've just used my MBP display until now.

So do I get a MBP with 24'' display or a 27'' iMac and use my old MBP for my portable needs?

Thanks for your help upfront!!!

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Mac i7 or MBP i7

i asked the same question before when the imac came out , i just got spooked from what all the people are saying about the issues, but i guess you dont have to worry about that since you got a warranty and an apple store near ya ( which i don't ).

I went personally with the macbook pro i7 , its a great machine and really fast but yea you do lack the all beautiful 27" imac display.

so yea you already got an laptop and it is working fine, i say go for the iMac 27" and enjoy ;)

Good Luck

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I had the same doubt around a month. I had 5 imacs and all were bad. I thought of the macbook pro I5 + led cinema display 24, but finally I got again the imac because the other choice was too expensive. Now my imac is good.

DerricP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Thanks for your comments. I'm leaning towards the imac 27 inch, although I'm not sure this is the best time to buy. Also I'm not sure how long my 4 year macbook pro.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
No one has mentioned this yet but the iMac uses a desktop CPU which is a Quad Core i7. The MBP is an Arrandale which is a dual core i7. If you want serious power the iMac is the way to go, it's not just the screen size, plus you can use the iMac as a display only if you want to connect an Xbox or PS3 or a Blu-ray player, although an adaptor such as Dr. Bott Digital Video Link is required.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks for your comments. I'm leaning towards the imac 27 inch, although I'm not sure this is the best time to buy. Also I'm not sure how long my 4 year macbook pro.

i7 iMac is pretty safe buy as update won't really affect it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.