Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipsigti

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
I have read this also something to do with the hyper threading doesn't help or something not sure.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Hyperthreading is useless in games at the moment. And it more or less impedes the i7.

I've heard when HT is disabled the i7 edges out the i5 ever so slightly.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
cant find the other posts but I recall something that the i5 is better in this area?

You talking the i5 and i7 on the 27"?

If so, then the i7 will be faster in all respects. It's faster at stock and turbo clocks, and has more L3 cache.

I know Barefeats posted a thing about the i5 being slightly faster in some respects. I've asked Rob-art to send me a copy of the timedemo for the games he has tested to verify this. No response.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
i don't own a i7 imac yet, but on my PC, the cpu runs a LOT hotter when HT is enabled. So i assume what happens on the imac is that the i7 chip ends up turbo boosting for a lot less with HT due to heat, therefore, making the i5 faster after turbo boost because its at a higher clock speed.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
intelligently interprited

i don't own a i7 imac yet, but on my PC, the cpu runs a LOT hotter when HT is enabled. So i assume what happens on the imac is that the i7 chip ends up turbo boosting for a lot less with HT due to heat, therefore, making the i5 faster after turbo boost because its at a higher clock speed.

I agree with you. I also thing that running two programs on 1 core would give less performance with the same 2 programs running on two separate cores. Say if you always close your programs and try not to waste cpu on programs that your not using, you have an i5 with 4 cores and an i7 with 4 cores and 4 virtual cores, your running two programs on both. The i5 would run each program on 2 separate cores, but the i7 would run it on the same core, meaning the i5 would give better performance on those two programs than the i7. In terms of gaming issues, the i7 ever so slightly shaves over the i5, but when your playing the game you wont even notice it, 3.1 vs 3.4 - the 0.3 is a measly upgrade to pay 160 quid on, all extra you will get is hyper threading and the i7 processor logo on the box. Is that really worth the extra 160. If your a power user, and will have 8 programs on at once, hyper threading is defiantly for you you need an i7, but if your sensible and still want to run those cpu intensive programs but your sensible and close them when you dont need them, the i5 is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.