Imac i7 vs MBP i5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KevinRightWing, Aug 22, 2010.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

I have always owned Apple laptops from my Powerbook days to my current 2.16 Core duo 2 Macbook Pro. Other than the normal day to day emailing and websurfing, I use Handbrake quite a bit to rip my DVD collection and while I don't do a lot of gaming right now, I will surely be purchasing The Old Republic when it comes out for certain, and I have some interest in playing Starcraft 2.

Since I own an Ipad, everyone is telling me to go with the Imac, I am just having the hardest time making the move to an Apple desktop and losing my portability especially if I get into The Old Republic like I think I will.

Has anyone else been faced with this before, and what was your ultimate decision?

Thanks guys!

2. digitaldean macrumors member

Kevin,

KIND of in same predicament re: new Mac purchase.

I have 2 Macs that I use for freelance work. My Dual 2 GHz PowerMac G5 and a 2.16 GHz Core2Duo MBP.

The PowerMac G5 is the older of the 2 but my MBP is used by rest of my family when I'm home as the primary home computer (instead of the evil Dell PC I have).

Kind of leaning toward a refurb iMac i7, since the MacPros are out of my budget. But I like the mobility factor for a MBP. Primarily do print/web graphic design - Adobe CS4 apps plus some minor Word and Bento work.

Be interesting to see what the forum friends recommend.....

3. glennsan macrumors regular

It really depends on how often you will be mobile. The iMac would be a better machine to rip your dvd's but of course it is MUCH harder to put in your backpack and go to a park. Think long and hard about that and go with your gut. I have them both but find I do not move the laptop around much at all.

Glenn