imac i7 vs mbp i7 - what is the difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andyUKr, Apr 18, 2010.

1. andyUKr macrumors member

Hi, a stupid question perhaps but going to risk the wrath of the forum and ask it:
    What is the difference (if any) between the i7 processor in imacs and new mpbs? what i am trying to get at is if i get equally speced imac and mbp will one be faster than another?

i know it is probably a stupid question for man of you but any help would be appreciated!

thanks

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

quad core in the iMac, dual core in the MBP ;)
    the components in the iMac are proper desktop unit's, as opposed to the old iMac using laptop parts ;)

3. JNickyJJ macrumors member

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thought I would add another stupid question :eek:

What speed increase would you see from a quad vs a dual? 100% 50% etc. Is quad worth it :eek:

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It all depends on how you use your computer. Web browsing, MS Word, iTunes listening won't be faster. Transcoding video in a program like HandBrake will see a big difference. I went from a 2.4GHz C2D to a 2.6GHz i5 quad and my encodes went from ~25 fps to ~200 fps.

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yeah you'll only see decent improvements from a quad core if your really using it, video encoding, hi end video editing and the like, daily usages for most people wouldnt see any performance gains