iMac in 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DancesWithSmurf, Dec 4, 2011.

1. DancesWithSmurf macrumors newbie

I really want to know everything about the next iMac. When is it going to be coming out because I heard it will release sometime in March because that's when the Ivy Bridge comes out. Is the Ivy Bridge going to be a lot better than the Sandy Bridge? What do you think the specs will be for the base model (6GB ram, 1TB HDD, etc.) - all of this standard? I have just been waiting so long to get an iMac and I really want to get the best one and I want to get the newest one. If the iMac will be coming out in March then I think I can wait a little longer. I just want to know what might be the possible features of it and the most likely release date because I also heard that there will be a new design to the machine itself!

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

i will buy my next iMac after they include USB 3.0.
    I was going to buy my daughters each an iMac this Christmas, but since they need to last 5+ years I won't get them a computer that doesn't include usb 3.0.
    If apple does a lot of the streamlining I am hearing of I may move to linux.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I suspect that the RAM will stay at 4GB or jump to 8GB. Apple generally installs 2 DIMMS and the price of 4GB DIMMS has dropped significantly. Nevertheless... this is not an important criteria because it is so cheap to buy replacement RAM (16GB is under $100) and it is user installable.

The bigger question is if the CTO HDD is above 2TB. I am hoping for at least 3TB. I would also like a larger SSD CTO option.

/Jim

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are already multiple threads on this question; you could have found lots of discussion simply scrolling the page.

No one knows outside of Apple - they are very secretive.

I would't expect a new iMac before June 2012.

5. Ptdr macrumors member

According to the leaks, Basically Ivy bridge will be more or less Sandy Bridge that supports better graphics while using less energy, so i don't think it will be a big deal for imacs, maybe a bit faster, see the benchmark:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne..._specifications_and_q2_2012_release_date_leak

But it will be a big update for laptops, especially ultra notebooks, the macbook air will finally get descent graphics, and the battery will last 40-50% (according to intel) longer, and like every updates, faster...

6. RoelJuun macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

I'd like a SMALLER SSD CTO option. I don't need 256 gig, it's really expensive but I just want a SSD and it's not user upgradable. For me 128 gigs would be good, for about €180,- extra. I think that more people would choose the smaller SSD + HDD instead of not choosing a SSD at all because 256 gig is +€500,-. Why can you choose for 128 gig in the MBP's and not in the iMac?

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree that more people would buy the SSD option if it had a lower entry price. Most people would benefit quite a bit with even a 128GB SSD as you mention.

The reason that I would like a larger SSD is to bring larger projects onto the SSD during the creation phase, and then archive them off to HDD once complete.

For example, I am currently editing an Aperture 3 project from my daughter's wedding. I have 165 GB of data for that single project. That would probably work OK with the 256 GB SSD option that is currently available... but it would consume most of the SSD. Certainly I could not have two such projects resident on the SSD.

Currently my iMac does not have an SSD at all since the option was not available in 2009 when I bought this machine. It happens to be the only computer that I have bought since 2008 that does not have an SSD. :(

If I had an SSD option (even the 256 GB version)... I would create a new A3 library on the SSD... load the 165GB of photos into that library... and when the project was complete, export the project into my main A3 library that lives on the HDD.

So yes... I can live with the 256 GB SSD if that is all that is offered in the '12 iMac. If a larger SSD is offered, then I will get it to future proof my machine.

/Jim

8. simsaladimbamba

If you feel comfortable opening up the iMac, you could add an SSD yourself, though if you still have some kind of warranty for that machine, it might be good to wait.
    I upgraded my 2007 Alu iMac from a 250 GB HDD to a 500 GB HDD and last week I took the 500 GB HDD out and put a 60 GB SSD (Vertex 2) from my MBP (which has been upgraded to a 120 GB SSD - Vertex 3) into that iMac.
    It brought new life to that old sucker and now I use that iMac regularly again, as I can handle having my video footage on an external FW800 HDD.
    Btw, the whole HDD to SSD swap with the iMac took no longer than an hour and it was quite easy, though I built some PCs in the early 2000s, but that is not really a good comparison.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am comfortable upgrading computers... but I do not want to open the iMac because it still has another year of Applecare left. I am OK waiting till the '12 model is out.

/Jim

10. simsaladimbamba

Okay, was just a thought. You can still upgrade the iMac in 2012, when AC has left the building and use it as backup or any other device. But you know better, what to do with it. Have a good evening.

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My wife and I are currently sharing this 2009 iMac. In '12... I'll get my own and this will be hers. She pretty much only does email and surf the web. I would not want to upgrade it given her usage.

/Jim

12. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

June? Lol when was the last iMac released?

13. Ptdr macrumors member

ivy bridgre imacs definitely for march/april
    you'll see, remember this post...

14. DancesWithSmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

When is the set release date for the Ivy Bridge?

15. TheManofSteel macrumors newbie

Intel stated on their latest Ivy Bridge desktop roadmap "March-April" 2012. We will know more come CES next month.

16. DancesWithSmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

If the CPU comes out around that time how is the iMac suppose to release in March and April then? Will they have enough time to make the iMac?

17. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Even if you were shooting in RAW, it's hard for me to believe that you shot 165GB's of photos yourself. I am not calling you a liar or anything, I am just shocked that you took that many photos. Must have been hell sorting through that compilation.

Because Apple obviously has inside information from Intel, they could already be starting production of the new 2012 iMac. Intel just has to officially release Ivy Bridge to the public and then Apple is good to go with releasing whatever they choose to.

18. mayhone1 macrumors regular

iMacs are actually reaching the end of Thier product cycle so no ones knows when they'll release a new on they could release one tommorow for all we know.

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Not very likely. "New" iMacs will be released when the Ivy CPUs are available sometime after April 2012.

20. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

like we have just had with the macbook pros, I expect a little spec bump to the iMacs before we see a full redesign around summer time.
    I can't wait to see what apple do with the next gen though.

21. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any estimated guesses at what costs will be on the next gen iMacs?

22. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I think the prices will stay the same. They are pretty good for the money, decent enough specs with a great display. And they would role out an apple tv sort of feature built in (just like the front page rumors state)

Making them affordable and attractive to consumers. I want an iMac, will be my very first desktop mac. Don't think I will wait for ivy bridge updated ones though. Think il just buy this current version.

23. flynz4, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

flynz4 macrumors 68040

We had 5 cameras (4 photographers). The cameras were as follows:

Nikon D7000: RAW+JPEG
    Nikon D300: RAW only
    Nikon D90: JPEG only
    Canon 50D: RAW only
    Canon 5D MarkII: RAW only

Total # of pictures: 4800+

We also had two HD camcorders which contributed to the wedding data... but not as much as the photos.

In total... 165GB in a single day. For my first time ever... I thought I was going to bust through my Comcast 250GB monthly data cap (I use Crashplan+ for cloud based backup). I came in at 217GB for the month. :)

Aperture 3 helps a lot. We organized the day into 5 folders:
    • Pre-wedding
    • Cerimony
    • Church Formals
    • Off-site Formals
    • Reception
    Within each of those folders, we have an A3 project for each camera. That allows us to make batch corrections based on location, and camera. By clicking on the each folder, we get the entire collection of all five cameras from each phase of the day.

One mistake we made was not calibrating the clock in all 5 cameras. I learned how to use A3's time offset feature to bring the time of each cameras into sync. Now everything syncs perfectly in time sequence irrespective of which set of cameras we are using.

My wife and I are still rating the pictures. It takes a long time to rate 4800+ pics even if you just spend a few seconds on each. Once that is complete... it will just take seconds to put together slide shows using "smart albums". We will also be able to use smart albums to put together photo albums and photo books in a very small amount of time.

/Jim

24. DancesWithSmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

So will the iMac with the Ivy Bridge come out before or after April? Also, will the base model be $1,199?

25. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

flynz4 - Thank you for your very detailed and specific reply. I have shot several weddings with my brother and understand the pain of choosing the "best" photo from thousands of options. I tend to stick with video though, which can be a major pain in the ass to edit and sort through clips.

Best of luck and hope you find the perfect ones!

No one on here can tell you the exact month of release because no one on here except for Apple knows this kind of information.

Honestly, you probably won't see it until April but more than likely it will come out closer to May. As I stated before, when Intel publicly releases Ivy Bridge, then you can begin your count down to the new iMac, which should follow closely after.

As of the price, the same thing applies, no one can give you a yes or no answer. But more than likely again, prices will "generally" stay the same or not see any change at all.

My best advice for you is to be patient until Intel's public release of IB and then start your count down calendar on Myspace. Lol..