iMac in black

Discussion in 'iMac' started by InTheAir, Jun 6, 2009.

1. InTheAir macrumors regular

I've searched the archives, but couldn't find anything.

Is there any way to easily change a white iMac 24" to have a black face (film, cover, etc. ?).

I know it may be considered sacrilege, but the wife ...... well, you know. ;)

2. nufanec macrumors regular

http://www.colorwarepc.com/

Not really easy as they disassemble the computer and paint it. Nor is it cheap, but they look really good.

3. InTheAir thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I assume that there are no other ... errr... cheaper solutions??

4. svndmvn Guest

there are some threads about DYI painting iBooks and Macbooks, but I believe the iMac is hard to disassemble, if it's like the white macbooks you should take off the white paint and paint yourself afterwards. Since it's a desktop I doubt there are films etc.

5. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

It takes about 10 minutes or less to get the front off of the intel imacs. There are connections for the isight camera and microphone to be careful with. Once off you could more easily apply a film. I think the people that do graphics for outdoor signs have a film type material that might work and best of all I am sure they can precision cut it for you. You could paint it but would need to find a paint that is made for pvc/polycarbonate material and allow sufficient cure time before putting it back together. I have seen people get good results doing this on a dell mini9 which has a lid made out of colored pvc.

Replacement bezels are available, the parts supply company I bought my replacement imac hdd temperature cable from, had them brand new for around $125 usd. You know, in case you bork it up. :D

If you do decide to do it posts some pics and lets us know how it went.

6. svndmvn Guest

found the tangerine macbook thread
    disassemble it, take the paint off and either spray it or like that guy did with the tangerine macbook put in the oven:)

7. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

8. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

For the price, I agree. Plus who wants to ship out their computer to some unknown warehouse for $500? :confused:

9. redraidermacman macrumors regular

i think they were saying the tangerine over dyed macbook looks horrible, with which i agree....

10. MrSEC macrumors regular

It wasn't really pretty,but I have a whitebook,and it's not very attractive IMO.

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Click the links in my sig. The white polycarbonate in the iBooks/Macbooks/iMacs dye pretty well if you take your time.

The black turns out very dark and rich and won't chip or scratch off like if you were to paint it or vinyl it.

It's a lot of hard work but pays off. Only like $10 for the dye.