iMac in Downward Spiral - Graphics Card? Logic? (PICS)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meagain, May 6, 2009.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

Hi. Trying to get a basic heads up on what Apple might do for this.

White iMac 2.16 GHz, running 2.5g memory, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.
    It's been in the shop a few times. The last time due to mega beach-balling and a slowdown to a crawl, etc. Apple said it's either the Logic board or the Hard-drive. They replaced the hard drive. When I picked it up, I asked if the Logic board has been tested, they said no.

I get it home and while the beach balling stopped for a bit, I've had freeky graphics issues. I have them 24/7. I've been living like this for 2 months since getting it back from Apple. I am experiencing beach-balling nonsensically. Oddly, sometimes when I try to screen cap the graphics issue, dragging the cursor for the cap often wipes the oddity clean. Other times I have to hit Expose', move the windows button, etc. to stop beach-ball.

My AppleCare expires in November. I thought maybe I could wait till the 11th hour in case Apple comes out with a bumped up iMac but I don't think I can deal with this anymore. I've included some caps.

Since this will be my 5th time in the shop with this machine, and they owe me a new case due to scratching mine, do you think they'll replace whatever's wrong, or just give me a new one? In my perfect world, if they did that, I'd like to get the top of the line and pay the difference. But I'm not sure how it'll work. All I know is when I picked it up last time, the Asst. Mgr. said that I really should've gotten a new computer by now.

I did the PRAM thing, and of course the Disc Utility, etc. I'm not sure what else to do but I think perhaps they might've damaged something when they replaced the hard drive? What do you all think?

Thanks. Lisa

Attached Files:

2. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

This is one of my faves. See how it took the dock icons and duplicated themselves in the windows here?

Attached Files:

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Usually they'd replace it with a refurb, but yes, Apple does owe you a new computer by now.

4. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

I would think it would be more economical for them. Especially given they replaced my entire 24" display TWICE already, plus the hard drive, etc.
    I just fear the logic board was part of the culprit last time, not just the hard drive due to the way it's acting. I think it's getting worse and I can't deal anymore. I'd think they wouldn't want to replace that in a 3 year old model?

Do you think they'll give me a 3 year old white refurb? Or a newer version refurb?
    Does anyone think they would let me take a store credit so I can just put that towards buying a brand new one of my choice? Or allow me to pay the upcharge/price difference for a top of the line with 4850 graphics card?

Anyone think it odd that some of the graphics issues wipe away when I hit the expose/move windows type buttons?

Thanks for listening and any help.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's up to Apple on how they're going to replace it. In the best case it's a new model at the same price.

I'd use WWDC to test the waters on a solid date for Snow Leopard and base you're repair off of that if you're looking for the newest hardware in your iMac.

6. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

E - Good point. I was assuming Snow would come out in January or Oct/Nov. But I guess the possibility exists it might come out sooner. I could try to wait till WWDC but it's getting harder. You wouldn't believe what my screen looks like every hour or two. Images freezing all over the place in weird shapes. My dock turned YELLOW 2 days ago but that was ok because I could actually still see the dock icons. :eek: I think I can wait a month but beyond that... I'll lose my mind.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Patience friend. WWDC is coming soon.

Even so one of today's 24" models is an improvement and a chance to get more AppleCare.