Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret provides notes that despite Apple's (unusual) announcement that a new iMac line will be announced and released in September, that Apple Expo Paris (August 31st) will act as the launching ground for the new iMac.

Ship dates aren't expected until September 15th, however.

ThinkSecret provides no new details on the revision to Apple's consumer line, though previous hints have suggested dramatic changes (G5, new case design).

letterbox

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
i think this is to be expected, however, this is still good news. whee, i'm new in the market for an imac (new g5) but hey it would be nice to see a revised ibook or pb line, however i don't think that will happen as there were just updates.

first stab at first post.

jay

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I knew it.

I have been to MacWorld Paris for the last couple of years..... them not being the most exciting ones.

This one will be gr8! And I won't be able to make it. :(

Still... Let Steve bring 'em on! :)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I thought this was common knowledge anyway, because when Steve did a search for Paris using spotlight at WWDC, then iMac and then everybodies birthday for the month of September, he was hinting at something, thats the impression i got?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Let's hope Apple delivers on this and has demo units at schools so they can salvage the 2004 Back to School buying season.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Where's the half dome?

CrackedButter said:
I thought this was common knowledge anyway, because when Steve did a search for Paris using spotlight at WWDC, then iMac and then everybodies birthday for the month of September, he was hinting at something, thats the impression i got?

He also did a search for 'half dome' and made a big deal that the only half dome noted was a map reference? Is he trying to make a point about the ability of Spotlight or should we read more into there being no other 'half dome' and expect a new case design at the 'imac' 'birthday' in 'paris'??

mactarkus

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Florida
French iMac?

Let's just hope they keep the familiar iMac name and don't go with "Le Mac" or "Mac Royale"!

letterbox

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004

Yes, I thought it was quite funny... Paris>iMac>Birthday... :rolleyes: Apple doesn't intentionally leak or anything of the sort to create hype :p

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
CrackedButter said:
Good point crackedbutter. I thought of Paris when it was first announced the imac was coming in Sept., but didn't catch the spotlight hints.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I, too, think it's pretty obvious that the new iMac will debut at Paris Expo. First, they have to announce something there (any other new hardware is unlikely, excluding the iPod), and secondly, the keynote taking place on August 31 is another clear indication.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
What everybody expected...

We are not expecting the iMac anymore, we just wait Steve-o keynote and the One more thing reaction... but Steve, I'll be happy with a new BT mouse, I don't care if it is 1-Button but bring Scroll-pad á la iPod :cool:

SillyWillyBob

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
mpw said:
He also did a search for 'half dome' and made a big deal that the only half dome noted was a map reference? Is he trying to make a point about the ability of Spotlight or should we read more into there being no other 'half dome' and expect a new case design at the 'imac' 'birthday' in 'paris'??

He also did a search for Yosemite... does this mean the new iMac will headless? and blue and white?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
New ipod at Paris?

Zaty said:
I, too, think it's pretty obvious that the new iMac will debut at Paris Expo. First, they have to announce something there (any other new hardware is unlikely, excluding the iPod), and secondly, the keynote taking place on August 31 is another clear indication.

Do you think there'll be a new iPod launched at Paris only a month after the mini is finally launched?
What new features does anyone expect / hope for?
I assume it would follow the mini’s metal body design and controls and it’s a given it’ll get 60GB. Any chance it’ll get Bluetooth and a better battery? I’ve read about the new Bluetooth standard that would allow full stereo headphones at the same time as syncing can you imagine how cool Apple’s take on ‘proper’ can’s would be.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
BWhaler said:
Let's hope Apple delivers on this and has demo units at schools so they can salvage the 2004 Back to School buying season.

Unfortunately, I think they've already missed this one, at least insofar as potential switchers goes. I doubt if the average back-to-school buyer who never used a Mac before will put off their purchase into mid-September. And institutional school purchases will have been complete well before then.

The best thing Apple could do this time around would be to come up with a cheap (well under $1,000 - not $999) rugged iMac that doesn't have a built-in monitor.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
i didn't catch that spotlite hint. that's pretty slick. i've been trying to get my mother to get an iMac as the next computer, if they get a next computer. form factor alone makes it so attractive for my mom, she can put this thing just about anywhere and it looks good. we can get out of that closet turned study. plus i know the ease of use of Mac OS X will help her finally use a computer for more than just email.

how_quare

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2004
iMac Release Date...

I Assume the new iMac will be released in paris (I too think it will be a flat screen with the guts in the back (hangable screen/touch screen anyone?)

However thinksecret is predicting a 15th september release... however a local apple reseller states:

"iMac G4 - Out of Stock
New models of the iMac G4 are due to be released on September 5th.

Ring us to reserve yours now!"

http://www.campusit.co.nz/index.cfm...duleid=100000012&s=779,781,100000728&single=1

So is this the date of the release and shipping or just shipping or just relase?

(appleinsider has also received this from me but cld not be bothgered joining two boards so emailed them details...)

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Gotta love their sources...

Anybody notice this little tibidt from the ThinkSecret article:
Remember last year's "premature specification," when Apple inadvertently posted specifications for its new Power Mac G5 to the Apple online store, days in advance of the 2003 Worldwide Developers Conference? Gossip at this year's WWDC confirmed the obvious: the web developer responsible for the accidental leak was unceremoniously "steved."

I know we're on rumor-based sites here, but the comment "Gossip...confirmed the obvious" should give one pause. If it is obvious, why does it need confirmation? And while I don't doubt that the developer got canned, please don't try to convince me with the proof of "gossip."

It may be a good enough standard for the New York Times and Jayson Blair, but not me.

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
Macrumors said:
iMac in Paris
this sounds like so many sequels:

Rugrats in Paris (2000)
An American Werewolf In Paris (1997)
Last Tango in Paris (1972)
An American In Paris (1951)

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
the new iMac should have been released in July... but it wasn't ready... thats why this abnormal mac announcement is there...

it will be a G5 iMac in September...

a journalist told me that since he gets mac info and software for free all the time because he writes about them (just greceived FinalCutProHD from him, original full version, free sample from apple...)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
RE: the post about new iPods, i also heard they would be released when Apple tops 100 million sales. Ita a given now that HP will release the same generation of ipods otherwise they would of released them now. They did say a summer release and summer is now here. Its either next week for the 100 million milestone or Paris.

You'd want the heat taken off the ipod mini wouldn't you with bigger capcity drives? Wouldn't you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.