Imac in Usa vs Europe

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tjosansa, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

When paying $1.999 for an imac. How much is it in total including VAT?
    In Sweden where i live i am paying $2.982 including the VAT. For the very same machine.

Iphone 4 in usa is $450 and in sweden its $505 including vat.

Cant belive how expensive the Mac is here.. And im gonna upgrade my new imac27 so the cost will be around $3.500 :((

2. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

Tax varies by state, but it's usually around 7%. Know anyone that lives in the US that could ship it to you? Shipping would probably be around $150, but still $600 cheaper.

3. Tjosansa thread starter macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Hm.. Well i do know someone in Usa. But it seems to much of a hazzle. The custom will probobly charge me for it?

What i hope is Apple to correct their prices in Sweden.
    We got 25% Vat but that still dont explain those very high prices on the imac.

4. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

I'm not sure how the postal system works in your country. You could ask someone if you would get charged a custom fee. I don't think there is fee if someone sends it as a gift instead of merchandise, but technically it isn't really a gift.

5. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

In my country (Portugal) if you order something outside Europe you have a 50% chance of paying taxes over it (23% btw), and it it's something electronic or computer related its about 90% that you will pay taxes over it... So I only buy cables/adapters/cases and other cheap accessories directly from china, never payed taxes on those.

The cheapest iMac here (21.5) costs 1,399€

6. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

So if he bought it with the help of someone in the US with VAT, US tax at 7% and shipping it would come to around $2700-2750. Still $250-300 cheaper.

7. DGPMaluco, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Imac in Usa vs Europe

To the price you have to add 23%.

What's the price of the cheapest iMac in the US including taxes?

8. macthefork macrumors 6502

In certain States there's no sales tax at all... such as New Hampshire. We pass through New Hampshire all the time, and it's where we make many larger purchases. So the cost (in these states) is the price shown on Apple's site.

9. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

In Holland we pay 21% taxes. The cheapest 21.5" iMac therefore costs: €1335,- (including VAT).

Sweden is very expensive with everything. Sorry to hear that.
    If I were you, I would just plan a holiday by car to any of the surrounding countries in Europe and just purchase it there.

By driving, you don't have any issues! Good luck.

Loads of people go on vacation to france or something by car etc ;).

10. Serban Suspended

In Romania (the country of beautiful woman and macho men) we pay 24%

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

And the UK trumps the lot....we pay nearly £ for $ AND VAT. My current top end 27" comes in at £3K......A huge investment. I guess the only real crumb of comfort is that they do hold their value. I try to upgrade every year / 18 months if I can afford it...that way I don;t lose too much. This one is going to have to last me longer though as I'm in save mode for my wedding next March.

12. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

in EU forget about buying from outside, you might end up paying 12.5% on top of an estimated value.

Prices higher in Scandinavia, yes, 25% VAT plus small silly taxes on top (recycle, or copyright taxes).

Where you can save money is to buy it from another EU country, I used to live in Germany and it was approx. 5-600 DKK cheaper to buy a computer there than here (Denmark) for iPads around 150 DKK, so it can't pay off driving for that alone, but if you have a visit there you could pick up an iMac.

Generally it could be recommended buy it where you are, since you will have manuals, boxes etc. for your country and thereby making it easier to sell afterwards.
    When I was in the States for a bit I thought of selling my MB Air, but since it had a danish Keyboard I had to expect up-towards 200 USD less !
    And had I taken a US version back to Denmark I would've expected a lower price when selling that again.

also remember that there are differences in electrical outlets Denmark / Sweden (A danish plug won't fit a Swedish wall outlet)..it's such small differences that are immensely annoying and will costs you money when re-selling

13. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

i feel you bro, i had to overcome obstacles as well - i was ordering sth from US few months ago hoping it would dodge customs but no luck, had to pay customs fee.

i would also advise to buy from EU (im in EU as well), you are not paying custom taxes on that one (at least if your country is in Shenghen treaty, which is). the best thing is to do it is by visiting - maybe youll go on a trip in few months to Germany or somewhere else, you can buy it that way thus saving on shipping as well. i know its bit ackward with imac but possible.

14. BSben macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is worth all the hassle. You also have to consider that the warranty in the US is different, also you will need an adapter for the power plug. In many countries in the EU you pay duty not on the price you paid, but on the price the item is sold in your country. If you buy in your country you know your rights and the price you pay. If you import the actual cost is a bit of a gamble and it might be a lot more than you thought.