iMac inquisition for the uninitiated

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Epikuros, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Epikuros macrumors member

Hello Macrumour,

I can see that the UPS van with the new iMac is finally drawing nigh after a dussin or so days, but I also can’t help but notice how this thing has been bouncing from country to country, city to city (eight so far) and still has a long way to go. Makes me wonder if this thing will even resemble a an all-in-one machine by the time it gets here. Even if i usually have a better experience with UPS than this guy had with FedEx.

Ordering a lot of stuff from afar, I have gotten my fair share of not-quite pristine electronics, though I usually accept them since I’m by nature not inclined to make a fuss about this sort of thing.

But this being Apple, the most moneyed, unscrupulous multi-national around, I intend to let them have it if something isn’t in working order. I feel I plucked down handsomely for this thing, they should repair it even if there is some minor defect like too many dead pixels.

This being my first proper mac I have no idea how to check it, or even what I should look for. What I want is a short and basic guide to probe the product of any major flaw that I could do easily and without installing a lot of software or anything fancy like that. Just making sure it is in working order when it arrives.

Hearing people talking online, I’ve heard them mention everything from dead pixels, image/screen retention, yellow tint of the screen, slow harddrive speed, bad sound, graphic performance issues, high temperatures. And off course scratches and bumps (leaving nothing out here).

I've searched the forum along these lines but to no avail.

If someone could write a few lines or paragraphs just outlining what usually is wrong with these machines and how you would notice, then that would really be helpful. How fast is the fusion drive supposed to be, for example?

Thanks.

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

99% of the time they will arrive in perfect condition, so stop worrying when it hasn't even arrived.

And you'll know if you have problems. They will affect you. Asking people how to check for problems is just silly. If it is not affecting anything you do, then it's not a problem.

3. Gauntlet999 macrumors newbie

Don't worry, be happy...

Seriously, this is a vocal group and the problems that people experience get amplified. In most cases there are no problems, but Apple stands behind their products.

VirginBlue could stand to be a little more patient with a reasonable question...

G.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Geez, relax dude. You're already prepared to use firearms against the company and you haven't received it. It should be fine. All that unnecessary negative energy could be used towards excitement, which it should be since you're getting something new.

5. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Is that all you got. That was viral 13 months ago.

6. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

With your expectations of disaster as high as they seem to be, I can't help but think you will be disappointed no matter what happens.

7. Epikuros thread starter macrumors member

I do forget that when reading a text you can't really see how the tongue was in the cheek when it was written. Of course I am not about to march on Cupertino.

It's just that, as I'm setting up my workspace I'd thought I'll take the time and clear everything up at once, so when I'm up and running I'm less likely to get any surprises.

As you've said, I'll probably notice if something is wrong. I just thought I could quickly check for common issues and get it out of the way promptly. It doesn't mean that I'm angry or not excited.

From the responses it seems like these machines are a little more stable than I've been led to believe. I'll guess it'll be fine then. No use to go looking for trouble or crying before you've been hurt in that case.