iMac - installing Windows 7 problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Daniel512, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Daniel512 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am trying to install windows 7 on my imac 21.5" 2010.
    My DVD drive doesn't work, and since I must one in order to install my Wndows 7, I bought an external DVD drive.

Everything went smooth, but then suddenly it said that message:

No Bootable device. Insert boot disk and press any key.

I think that it caused because it doesn't able to read my external DVD drive when it installs the Windows 7, but can only read internal's one.

What should I do in order to fix that problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel.

2. Daniel512 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I had this very same problem recently, go back through the bootcamp wizard, delete the partition you created for bootcamp, recreate it and try again, this worked for me.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. Daniel512 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't get it..

So what should I do?
    can I install windows from disk on key? or how else should i install the winodws 7?

as my internal DVD drive is broken.

6. niterage69 macrumors newbie

Re

forget about using the bootcamp utility, it makes things harder then they actually are ;)

The simplest solution i have found for installing any alternate OS on a mac is by using "rEFit"
    http://refit.sourceforge.net/
    this allows the mac on boot up to show the hidden menu.

steps:

1. install latest version of "rEFit".. you can *remove it after you installed your other OSes.
    REBOOT the mac atleast 2-3 times. you should then see the new startup menu.

note: i have yet to figure out why this is required, perhaps the 1st reboot activates the correct services & blesses the boot??

2. open Disk utility & add the second partition, under the format type for the partition...select "ExFat" this is recognizable to windows during the installer.
    see attached image
    [​IMG]

3. plugin in your external device with the OS installer (external CD-Drive, usb HDD, Flash Drive..etc)

4. Reboot & select your device from the menu of choices (please look at the icon/descirption types for your choices, as they represent the type of connection) to ensure you are picking the external device.

5. follow the installer form the OS media & when you get to location choices pick your newly created partition & select to format it to the OSes preferred formatting type :)

that's all there is to it.
    * i keep rEFit on my macs, so anytime i attach any bootable device it becomes available to use:D upon rebooting the system.