iMac insurance help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shmwy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. shmwy macrumors newbie

I am buying an older 24" iMac from a guy on craigslist. These are the specifications:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    320GB Serial ATA Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
    Apple Keyboard
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
    Operating System: Mac OSX 10.5, Leopard
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I'm pretty sure that it has passed its warranty, and that makes it invalid for apple care insurance.
    I was wondering if there was any other way to insure my computer that would match up to the apple care standard.

Thanks for the help! :)

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

i put my machines on my homeowners. Basically its an addition to your regular policy, but covers accidental damage and has a lower deductible ~ $50.

3. shmwy thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I'm currently a student and living on campus, so homeowners is kind of out of the question. :/

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No real answer to your question first off, but I did want to suggest that you enter the Serial Number at the Apple Online Service Assistant page which will confirm the purchase date and current warranty status on the offchance that it is still within the 1st year standard warranty before you give up on that idea.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I didn't see where this showed the purchase date -- only model and year range.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Ok, let me re-phrase that. If by chance it is still under the factory warranty it will show the expiration date of it- and the purchase date is one year before that.