iMac (Intel Core Duo) broken screen!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hamsterhamilton, Nov 13, 2011.

1. hamsterhamilton macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an iMac (Intel Core Duo, EMC:2104) that seems to have a broken screen. Here are some pictures.

P131111_16.360001.JPG P131111_16.370001.JPG

Note that the screens in the pictures somewhat differ from one another. It flickers in some areas (usually in the black part) especially when I run my mouse over the area. I connected the computer to another monitor and it works fine that way.
    Does anyone have an idea what could be broken? Is it the inverter or is the panel broken? Or could it be that some cables just got loose? :confused::confused::confused:

2. flyguy321 macrumors newbie

These Mac's are a problem with Graphics and LCD's. It looks to me like it could be the screen itself, since you plugged in to an external Monitor and the picture was fine. I also have an Intel Core Duo with the same problem, its the LCD, i have had trouble finding a replacement for a good price. Everywhere else are charging wayyyyy too much.....

Its a shame problems like this plague such nice Computers, i would imagine Apple would charge you an arm and a leg to replace the screen, ebay is a good place to look.

Are you savvy enough to open the Mac yourself??

3. techno96 macrumors member

You're definitely going to want to try to replace that by yourself if you can, take a look at ifixit.com for a guide. Good Luck!

4. hamsterhamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to ifixit.com but since i dont know WHAT to replace or fix, it didnt help me much. Thanks though!

I agree. I looked on ebay but i can only find working macs (also intel core duo), which cost less than the LCD's other people offer on the internet (about 300$). But now I am wondering if the LCD from the iMacG5 fits into my intel core duo mac, since it lookas the same, and comes in the same sizes...i will inform myself furthermore on that subject.
    And yes, I would trust myself with opening the mac...