iMac Intel Lines on screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Archon Gold, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

When I went over to my Grandparent's house for dinner my Grandmother asked me If I could check her iMac since something looked wrong with it.

I go over to the computer and wake it out of sleep mode and sure enough there was a blue line on the screen. I knew it wasnt the OS because it showed during the bootup process.

I've tried resetting the PRAM and PMU but to no avail.

I searched on many sites but many people who had the problem all said that it eventually got worse and worse until the screen is unreadable. So for now I'm lending my grandparents my MacBook (it was sitting in the closet, so im glad it's getting some use)

I'm wondering if this could be solved by reseating the video connector on the logicboard, has anyone else had this problem? (BTW it looks much like this video except there is only one line currently.)

Taking it in for repair is out of the question so I may just let them use my MacBook until we get them a new computer around christmas.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Vertical lines usually indicate a problem either with the display or the display cable. Sometimes they'll appear if the display cable is pinched, but usually the display itself must be replaced.

The computer isn't covered by warranty, is it?

3. Archon Gold thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it was purchased in March 2007.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. MTI macrumors 65816

Early Core Duo 17 and 20 models have a known issue with vertical lines appearing and growing on their LCDs. Apple did extend warranty for these machines, but that program has expired. There are at least a couple of lawsuits working their way through the Federal court in California over the issue. If this is the situation with the iMac, then the only known fix is to replace the LCD or use an external display via the mini-DVI port.