iMac intended purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OneThinBloke, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. OneThinBloke macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    #1
    Hi All,

    I am looking to order a new iMac in the next week or two. Does anyone know whether there will be a change in spec in the very near future? Is it worth holding on? BTW I am looking at the 20" 2.4 GHz model.

    Thanks
    James
     
  2. tizod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #2
    James,

    Take a look at the Imac Buyer's Guide then decide for yourself.

    http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_Buyer's_Guide

    There is a lot of speculation and rumor of an update but no one knows when it might happen.

    The general thinking going on is that if there is an update it would be minor meaning a switch to the Penryn Processor (and therefore a minor speed bump), probably 2GB RAM as standard, and maybe a bigger Hard Drive.

    The number one thing that has most of us waiting is to see if there is an update or change to the graphics card. The current graphics on the IMac is not bad but not great either.

    Others are hoping that there might be an option for a matte screen instead of the glossy and some of the really hopeful people are waiting to see if it would include BlueRay which is very doubtful.

    Other then that there is not much that else that might happen.

    You should check out the refurbished section of the :apple: store where they have some great deals going on refurb models.

    Personally, I have been waiting for over 2 months now. I have a pending order for a refurb but am holding off for the refresh. I am hoping that it would happen before the 15th of April otherwise I will likely just go forward with the refurb.

    You have to decide how long you are willing to stick it out. Seems that everyday that goes by with no new news or updates gives credence to some people's belief that the updates won't occur until the WWDC conference in June.

    Good luck to you.
     
  3. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

    mrpalmer420

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
  4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2008
    Location:
    Winnipeg
    #4
    probably in the fall they will upgrade but i wouldn't think by a lot maybe just processor who knows
     
  5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    #5
    How do you have a "pending order" until the 15th?
     
  6. tizod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #6
    I went thought the on-line store and added one to my cart then saved it.

    Couple days later I got an email from someone at Apple about my "saved order" and told them what I was doing...they said fine.

    We will see if that works out or not.:D
     
  7. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

    sk8mash

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #7
    When I checked the UK refurd store today, they only had mac books available...
     
  8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    #8
    Thats bizarre. I couldnt imagine they would hold one for you for a cpl weeks. But its not like those are selling out. Weird thing is, about a month ago I was contemplating one of the 20" refurbs. Id seen them there daily for a week or more. Then one day I looked they were gone. I thought "damn it, I missed my chance." About 2 days later they were back, I ordered immediately, and they have been there ever since.
     
  9. tizod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #9
    Here is my thought process on the refurbs. Since they are essentially a machine someone bought that was sent back because of technical issues they are continuously coming and going out of stock.

    I suspect, and hope, that after the refresh occurs (whenever that is) there will still be plenty of refurbs to be had which is why you can still get a previous generation refurb.

    My plan is to wait until the refresh and then decide whether or not I want one of the new ones or if I would be satisfied with a refurbed current generation machine.

    The only risk that I am taking, which is a big one, is that after the refresh happens Apple will drop the special pricing that they going for them now and they would go back to their original discounted price. It's a couple hundred dollar gamble that I have decided I am willing to take on.

    Chances are, the refresh model would be enticing enough to me to want to buy one of those anyway...at least I hope they will be.
     

Share This Page