iMAC Intermittent AirPort

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AFMRPCUSER, Nov 17, 2008.

1. AFMRPCUSER macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

I recently purchased a iMac and when I got it running I experienced some problems. I took the unit to the Apple Store here in Sacramento, CA and they determined that it indeed had hardware problems. Apple was very prompt in solving the problem, they simply replaced it. The new unit is about one week old now and a few days ago I began to experience intermittent AirPort function. The modem just drops out from time-to-time. The signal is full strength all the horizontal bars are showing. I spoke with Apple briefly today but did not have the time to devote to a full diagnostic series of tests. I had the Apple folks on the line when I brought up the system using the AirPort function and they went over the setup with me and said that I had it configured correctly. Just as I look up now it's off line again for no apparent reason. I hover the curser over the icon and give it a tap and it comes to life again. I have two laptops with WiFi onboard and they work perfectly with the Wireless Router. ??? Any remarks, suggestions or insight as to what may be occurring? :confused::confused:

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

possibly a conflict, are they all running on the same frequency (type N/type G, etc..)

I don't know a lot about them, I just know there's different kinds and that could possibly conflict in some way. I never actually had to worry about the wireless N/G or other things, my stuff all seems to work fine.

3. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

AIRPORT PROBLEM WITH iMAC *REPLY*

GREETINGS:

Well I understand your question, NO I do not have the other computers on at the same time. It's a good question CUZ it all runs at 2.4Ghz and the receivers are not very selective due to their Broadband Nature. However, it can still pose problems in close proximity. I checked it out with my PC based Receiver and tuned to the Airport Signal at 2.401700Ghz and the signal was there as I expected but, it dropped off and resumed again in about 10 seconds. This random dropping of TX just continued off and on for hours. I'm ready to take some time off tomorrow and contact Apple. I do not have a warm and cozy feeling about this RF Modem call Air-Port. What the Hell kinda name is that supposed to be anyway? Airport! thats where you land and take off planes. Hmmmm no wonder it doesn't work, it doesn't know what it really is, it has a Bastardized Name. hi hi. Thanks for your reply, I will continue to work on a resolution, the worse case scenario take it to the Apple Store a 1/2 mile away, and let them decide what to do with it. It's only 12 days old. It's the second one they sent to me. Maybe it will be like the Epson 3800 Pro printer I purchased recently, it took three printers to find one that would work properly. They were found with defects right out of the box. " QC seems to be in everyones back yard these days. ":confused::confused:

Ciao,

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

hope you get your problem fixed. I thought "Airport" was a good name, it sends wireless signals to and from your devices through the air (wireless).

My Airport extreme works fine, I have my Ps3, iMac, Laptop & ipod working off of it. It may be the air port, or it may be something wrong (again) with the mac's air port card.