iMac internet problem with some routers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Savizilla, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Savizilla macrumors newbie

Hi, long time reader first time writer here

I have a problem with my iMac

Recently when i bought a new wifi router my imac seems to lose internet connectivity.

While the iMac tells you that you are still connected with full bars, the internet itself stops transfering data. The only way to fix this is when i turn my airport on/off and rejoin my wifi router.

This didn't happen on my old router, but it did happen at my other home on that router too...

I was wondering if there is a certain setting that i need to change?

Im hoping to fix this soon as my MBP is in the mail :D

PS: the internet works perfect on my gf's PC

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

What OS version are you using? I saw behavior exactly like that periodically under 10.4 between an older MBP and an Apple base station, but it mostly went away with 10.5--at least, when the internet dropped out it would actually TELL me it did, rather than showing full bars.

The other thing you might try is checking what other wireless networks are in the area and what channel your new router is on--if it's on a different channel than the one it replaced, and there's other stuff overlapping that point, then that could explain some if not all of the behavior. It helped in my case.

That said, I've still occasionally seen problems where upon waking from sleep my MBP didn't re-join the network. Turning it off and back on would kick it in. I believe that may have been a hardware problem, though, since my new MBP hasn't yet ever done that, and they're being used from the same physical location with the same OS version.

3. Savizilla thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply,

ive heard something about changing my channel before, how do i do that?
    Is it done through my router or my imac?

and nope, im using the newest OS

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

You have to log on to the router to change the channel.