iMac internet sharing problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jampri, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jampri macrumors newbie

Hello...

We recently switched from Cable to DSL. Before the switch, I was using the iMac's internet sharing function to allow me to surf with my Macbook wirelessly. This worked perfect with the cable internet.

However, with the switch, I turn on the internet sharing just as before, but I cannot get my Macbook to connect to the network that the iMac is putting out. Just for gits and shiggles, I plugged the ethernet into the Macbook to see if the internet would work that way, and it did. So I tried to turn on the internet sharing from my Macbook and connect to the network on my iMac, and still got the same problem. Occasionally, the network will show up for a few seconds in the list, but if I click on it to connect, it times out and disappears.

I don't think this is a problem with Leopard, or the internet sharing function, or any settings (despite what my ISP has told me repeatedly), because like I said, it worked fine a few days ago, and I haven't changed anything. I even spent 45 minutes on the phone today with an Apple Service tech trying to figure it out, but she says that it's something on the ISP's end (which is my suspicion) Basically, I'm getting the run around with little help from either company.

Is there something I can do with the IP's or something? Or would it just be less hassle to go buy an actual wireless router and connect both computers that way?

Thanks for your help!

-B

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You'd be better off getting a dedicated router.

3. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I second that. You would be better off with a dedicated router since both the iMac and the MacBook can connect wirelessly. They are cheap now.

--
    Patrick

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I third... you can buy an 802.11g router for $30 and it will last you for 5-7 years... that's like $0.50 a month.... My router is already almost five years old and is going perfectly strong.

However, with respect to the academic issue of why it is not working, I would guess it has something to do with PPPoE -- the big difference between the way most DSL modems work and the way most Cable modems work is that DSL usually requires one to authenticate with a user account to get the modem hooked into the network. Cable usually does not require this. There are some wrinkles with respect to whether the DSL modem bridges the WAN address to the wired Mac or whether it creates a subnet that may be related to your issue. My guess would be that right now, you're set up to bridge, and that it would work properly if you set up to route/distribute instead.

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I thought it was a PPPoE authentication problem too. But to be honest, I don't know how to fix that in internet sharing. I found a document on how to connect one machine using PPPoE, but not through internet sharing. And since this is a problem easily and cheaply fixed with a router...

OP: you can buy Apple's router, but it is expensive. I prefer to stick to a cheaper version. And if you do go with a wireless router, please secure it.

A few steps to secure it:
    1. Change the default password
    2. Change the SSID (network name)
    3. Use WPA instead of WEP and create a complicated phrase
    4. Don't broadcast the SSID
    5. Enable MAC address filtering
    6. Some routers have firewall enabled by default, but for others, you'll need to enable the firewall.

Each step on it's own is pretty weak, but when combined together, they offer better security.