imac internet slowdown

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mbozulich, Jul 31, 2011.

1. mbozulich macrumors newbie

Recently acquired a 20"/ 2Ghz Intel iMac (though I've had Macs of various variations for the past decade or so) and everything seems to be working fine.. except my internet connection. In the morning and evening it's ok, but during the day it's slows down so much it can barely load/connect to a web page (if at all). At first I was tempted to chalk it up to my cable internet in general or 'peak hours' but I also have an old PC (with slightly lesser specs at that) that if I boot up, will wiz through the internet like there's no problem at all. I'm really confused. Why would the internet on my mac slow so significantly during the day and my PC not be hardly affected at all? Obviously its not my internet connection overall, so I don't get it. I tried swapping the ports on my router and even bypassing the router altogether but there's no difference...

My head is going to explode trying to figure this out..! :eek: What am I missing? Anyone have any ideas...??

2. IwantImac macrumors newbie

which web browser do you use, and have your recently upgraded it?

3. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Had similar problems this weekend.Are you on comcast?

4. mbozulich thread starter macrumors newbie

Am using Firefox 5.0.1 which, as far as I know is the latest. But I dunno.. almost every potential 'issue' I can think of doesn't tend to explain how it's fine at certain times and crawling at others...

I'm currently using "Cox Cable" but I have the problem every day not just this recent weekend..

5. SawceBaws macrumors member

Used to happen to my MB...Doubt its a hardware issue. Maybe to do with your router.

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

your hardware should be fine since your not disconnecting or other problems. How long do you use your computer during the day. It may not be so much the time of day, but how long you are on the computer before something happens. You should clean your cache and have system monitor running next time so we can know whats going on. Let me know if on the RAM, you begin to make swaps.

7. mbozulich thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing I've thought of is temperature.. That is, not exactly "cool" in this room and the computer has always seemed to run a little warm- I've already had to boost the fans a bit to keep it from crashing. Almost makes sense in that my internet bogs down most midday (when it might be warmest). Then again, I'm not exactly sure how much a higher temp would actually affect internet speed...