iMAC Internet Slowness. Please Read

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heybuzzz, Aug 27, 2008.

1. heybuzzz macrumors newbie

Ok, so I got a new 20 inch iMac and it extremely slow over my road runner cable modem connected to my netgear router. I’ve tried to plug it in directly from my cable modem and through the router and get the same slowness (Go to youtube and it takes a good minute to load all the videos on the front page. Also justvsurfing the web drags). I have my A31 IBM laptop connecting over wifi to the same router and it loads in seconds. I’ve also tried to disable the Ethernet and tried the airport and it’s still slow. Honestly, my iPod touch hooked to my network wifi is faster loading pages/videos.

I’m very new to MACs and just wonder if the iMAC just takes up more bandwidth then say a XP box does???

I’m in the process of installing XP Pro using BootCamp to see if the XP OS on the same imAC gets the same slowness.

Any suggestions????

Thanks Guys!

2. heybuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a DNS problem, a firewall problem, or a permissions problem.

To fix a DNS problem
    In System Preferences>Network>Built-In Ethernet>TCP/IP: clear out the DNS values then click Renew DHCP.

Firewire Wall Problem
    System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall: Turn off Firewall

Permissions Problem
    HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility: Under the HD, just select repair permissions.

TEG