iMac internet very slow, other computers fine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sepandee, Apr 1, 2012.

1. sepandee, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

sepandee macrumors regular

I'm having a bizarre experience. I'm on a linksys wireless and all was good until yesterday. Since then, my iMac's internet has been at turtle-speed. I've done 3 speed tests on it and they've been: 53ms ping, 0.2Mbps download speed (yes, 0.2), 0.45Mbps upload speed.

But the confusing part is that I've ran the same speed test on my old macbook and my brother's macbook, and they've been 17ms ping, 18.0Mbps download, 1.0Mbps upload.

I'm running 10.6.8 on both.

What gives? How do I make sense of this? I've unplugged and plugged my modem and router several times. Haven't done a hard reset yet though.

Edit: just did another test, I'm pinging at 258ms. Also, looks like my iMac is slower in general than it used to be.

2. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

Two things. Turns out my Startup disk was damaged, so I fixed that and now my internet speed is almost fine. I say almost because I'm pinging at 15ms, and uploading at 0.9Mbps, very similar to my macbook.

However, my 2006 macbook is downloading at 15 to 20 Mbps, while the iMac's best result has been 7.5Mbps. So it's not downloading at < 1.0Mbps anymore, but it's still nowhere near where it should be.

HALP please.