iPad Imac + Ipad combo vs MBA

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eggtastic, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

This June will be year 2 on my MBA. I love this machine very much and have no issues at all. I have just been considering the following and wish to get an input from Ipad users.

I do NOT own an Ipad. The more I toy around with them at the apple store and with friends, the more I feel it be awesome to own. I do however feel it is redundant to own a MBA and iPad since they are similar size and feel.

I am considering the Imac + Ipad combo when the new Ipad line comes out in the fall. Selling the MBA for some cash towards these purchases.

My question is, who has went a similar route? usually I am hearing that Ipad is the redundant item out of peoples collection and is often looked at as a toy. I however could make it important if I do not own a laptop.

Weird, but thoughts? thanks

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Works great. I have an iMac for use in my home office and an iPad 4th generation for the rest of the house. The iPad becomes very useful for research while watching TV etc.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Depends on exactly what you do with your devices. For some, a MacAir + iPad is not redundant at all. My mom currently has that combination, and she's thinking of getting rid of her iMac. For others, they find that they need a laptop to take with them, and find that the iPad is inadequate as their only mobile device. You need to tell us what kind of tasks you'll be doing while on the go, and then perhaps we can tell you if the iPad is adequate for those tasks. But of course, there's always personal variation and preference, so nobody can really tell if the iPad will work for them until they actually use it. So I wouldn't sell the Air to get the iPad. Perhaps get the iPad, use it for a week or so, if you think it will work as your only mobile device and you really want an iMac, *then* you sell the Air and buy the iMac.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

I have an 11" 2012 Air and an iPad mini (also a 2012 i7 Mac Mini..).

I wouldnt really call the mini a toy, or necessarily redundant. They do have a big over lap, but there are certain things one does much better than the other.

Well, being honest - the iPad is more so the lounge about the house/in bed device. The Air is more when I need an actual computer.

However I'm thinking of making the Air into my HTPC and running XBMC/NaviX with it, using the mac mini as my desktop (audio recording) and iPad mini as my lounge about the house, useful about 80% of the time device.