iMac + ipad or iMac + MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Theteapartyvip, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

I currently own an iMac (2011 21.5 inch refurb) and I used to have an iPad until it was destroyed beyond repair when I dropped it. Although after not using an iPad for 5 months I have found myself being more productive etc.

However I now need something more portable than my trusty iMac and I was wondering on opinions of a MBA(probably refurbished) vs an iPad.

I would mainly be using it for reading, writing and web surfing, possible video editing (although obviously if i got the iPad I would just do this on my iMac)

Something that pushes me toward the MBA more is the functionality of having the full OSX and the fact that should my iMac die I am not suddenly computer less.

One of my main concerns is battery life. My old iPad used to die after 3-4 hours and take forever to charge. Do the newer iPads hold up better?

Thank you in advance for advice :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That sounds like a worn battery in your old iPad. The new ones will be much better. The battery is a consumable item and you need to keep that in mind.

The Air is kind of a little underpowered for video editing. Unless using a light program like iMovie, I could easily tax an Air out. If you want an Air, may I recommend the 13"! Also check out Apple refurbs.

Either way you go you are getting something great.

3. Rchawks macrumors member

I have the iPad 4th gen. 64 gb and it's been flawless in every way. It was purchases 15 months ago and has an insane battery life. It's almost never powered down and where apple says it has a operating time of ten hours, that's not even close for me, right now I'm at 83 percent and 6hrs 50 min with a standby time of 2 days 5 hrs.