Imac+ipad or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by njean777, May 23, 2012.

1. njean777 macrumors 6502

Hey guys and girls, I have a question for you all. I recently picked up a 15in MBP and am having some regrets. I want to know some different opinions on the matter. The question I have is should I change to an Imac 27in/ipad combo or just stay with the MBP. I am in college and sometimes (very rarely) write my essays at school which is why I always buy the laptop and not an imac. But after actually thinking about it this time I am at a cross roads. I want the imac for games and I also purchased the best 15.4 in because I am going to be running Diablo 3 on it, and the occasional indie game. I still have the ability to exchange it and just needed to know some opinions. I am a social science major and will be writing essays, but I also have spent the last 2 years in philosophy classes and wrote many essays, but like I said most of them were done at home on the weekends when I had the time. So what would you guys do in this situation?

I would be purchasing the best Imac available today with the 6970m. I know a refresh is coming soon, but I am in need of a computer now and tbh I only game and use internet/essay write/ and watch the occasional movie. Also a small but another important reason for me for considering the imac is the ability for it to act as a monitor for my ps3.

I am not going windows either, I just sold off my gaminc pc due to the motherboard frying itself. I am done with building my own computers and just want one that can run the small amount of games I do play on pc. I am mainly a console gamer anyways.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Your school needs and your gaming desires are in conflict. I'd suggest a 13" MBA which will handle all your school work (13" MBP would do as well and would save some money at the price of extra weight), and use the remaining money for a PC for games.

3. njean777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would I buy a pc when I just sold mine off? (not to mention I said I want to stay with Mac) I can build them and know how, but I don't want to do it anymore. The MBP I have now runs Diablo 3 flawlessly so their is no point in wasting money on a pc. As I already wrote I am mainly a console gamer. The most intensive game I would run is Diablo 3 at this point. All the others are indie games which do not warrant a 600-700 dollar pc.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Return the Macbook Pro. Then you wait for the new lineup of Macbook Pros, which are going to be thinner, lighter, flash memory startup, more powerful CPU, and the real gem, retina displays. New Macs.

A Macbook Pro with a retina display is going to be killer. It may be tough, but I seriously would wait.

5. shelob8888 macrumors member

I would ask what exactly are your regrets after buying the MBP? and how would the iMac solve them?

If mobility is in question... an iPad is the best way to be mobile, and you can write/take notes with it, and have it sync with your iWork on your home computer. Either the iMac or MBP will game just fine, only the iMac will have a much better screen to deal with (until the refresh of retina macs soon :) ), and a larger internal HDD.

It might help us give you feedback if you detail why you are second-guessing your decision... I for one love my MBP and game on it all the time, and have an iPad for more mobile situations (a desktop doesn't quite suit my needs because I would much rather be in the living room multi-tasking than sitting at a desk for my computer, plus I have a second monitor, stand, and keyboard/track pad for when I do want to "dock my MBP" and work at a desk with a larger screen and game).