iMac + iPad vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacJones, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MacJones macrumors 6502

I'm going back to school next semester for graphic design and I'm considering my options here. Currently I own a full spec 2010 Macbook Air (2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of Ram, 256GB SSD). I'm not sure if the processor will be up to the task for Creative Suite 5 work and I know I'll want a bigger screen so I'm considering selling the Macbook Air and buying a full spec 21.5" iMac and 16GB wifi 'new' iPad.

If you were in my situation going to college would you rather have a better at home computer plus an iPad or one that can travel with you to school with a slower processor? I can't see myself taking the Macbook Air to school because they have iMac computers to work on so I'd only use it for note taking in general education classes.

2. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

I'd stick with the Air you already have to travel with and get a new iMac.

3. MacJones thread starter macrumors 6502

I was planning on buying the refurbished full spec 21.5" ($1249) + the $499 iPad using the funds from selling the Macbook Air. I figure I can get about $1000 for the Macbook Air then use my tax refund to cover the rest. My tax refund wasn't big enough to buy an iMac and keep the Macbook Air. That would be the best option if it was possible. The iMac would be my workhorse and I would use the iPad for consumption.

4. an-other macrumors regular

Decisions...

Don't forget about the mac mini, especially refurbished ones. A great option for you if you happen to have any spare parts (monitor and keyboard) about. You might be able to keep all three.

I've been very impressed with my mini, and I do CS5 stuff.

Please keep in mind you're the one who has to set the value, and your wants may be uneconomic. The iPad is the odd man out in this equation if you're budget challenged. Your MBA is more capable than an iPad. There's a lot to like about an iPad, too. That's why I mention you have to set the value.

It's hard to make a wrong choice here. Either way there will be times you'll question yourself. It never gets easy.

5. mac26 macrumors 6502

Like the other person said Get a refurb. Mini (make sure it is the one with the Discrete GPU, possibly i7 so your Grapic design needs are met)

It would total to $699 + $69 Apple Keyboard + $150 monitor = $820 for workhorse. Save a bit extra for this so you can afford it even though it is only a $100 premium over getting iMac + MBA

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'll throw in an alternative here. Your Air will probably be most lacking in screen area, so just get an external monitor. Add a keyboard and Wacom tablet and you are all set with a good desktop environment plus portability.

7. MacJones thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to do this. I'll get a refurbished 27" Cinema Display and Wacom Intuos5 touch small. Thanks for the suggestion, this should work out great!