iMac is freezing after hard drive replacement and TM restore

Discussion in 'iMac' started by guitarplayr82, Mar 31, 2012.

1. guitarplayr82 macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago my mid-2007 iMac hard drive was making clicking noises and showed signs of failure, so I took it in to an authorized service provider and got a new hard drive put in. I brought the iMac home and restored from my most recent Time Machine backup without any problems. However, I now get random freezes that cause me to restart my Mac every time in order to clear up the freeze. The freezes seem to come out of nowhere - one time I was just watching a YouTube video when it froze. When it's frozen I can move my cursor on the screen, but nothing else responds. I can hear the hard drive working while it's frozen. I've had four of these freezes so far and I never experienced a problem like this before I got my hard drive replaced.

So I'm wondering if the problem might lie in the hard drive that got put in, or if I restored from a bad backup and I might need to restore everything again?

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

3. guitarplayr82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, did the disk verification and it reported the disk was fine. Repaired permissions too and it said everything was OK.

4. guitarplayr82 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Create a new partition in Disk Utility then install a fresh copy of your OS. It will rule out software issues/hardware issues.

6. Veryinterested macrumors newbie

I have a late 1980 iMac and have had freezing problems for a number of years. I have had the thing into the Apple store a number of times , The last time it was in they replaced the hard drive and told me to just load certain stuff from TM. I did that and still have the freezing problem! I think now I will put up with the issue and wait until the next version of the iMac comes out and get a new one. I just don't want to loose my 24,000 + photos in IPhoto.

7. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Wait, what? The iMac didn't exist in 1980! The iMac wasn't introduced until 1998. Further more, iPhoto '11 wouldn't run on anything that didn't have at least an Intel Core 2 Duo. PPC versions of iPhoto would need at least a G3. I think you did some serious mistyping in your post.

8. Melbourne Park macrumors 6502

Could be the power supply ...

If you do a disk repair, and the disk has lots of errors, and the disk repair fixes things ... and then it starts mis-behaving again ... well that was what was happening to my white 24" iMac ... I thought the HD was going ... so I was running the machine of an external drive (either a firewire fault tolerant drive or mostly off the USB port, from a USB 3 drive (of course it was only USB 2 speed) but it work reliably except for needed lots of disk repairs. Eventually the machine just stopped ... and the new power supply seems to have fixed most of those stoppages ... so maybe the power supply is the main cause of your issues?

9. guitarplayr82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. The probelm turned out to be totally unrelated to my hard drive and Time Machine. It was just some software I had installed that was causing Finder to crash. I uninstalled it and it's all good now! Thanks again!

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Good to hear.

Also, sometimes problems come up with the user account after a migration or restore. Creating a new user account to check the Mac's behavior is a good idea.

11. harddrivefailur macrumors newbie

Just as a note, if your hard drive is actually making clicking or buzzing noises, you can pretty much rule out the motherboard or any of the other parts of your computer.

A clicking noise is pretty typical sign of hard drive failure, and you can typically either take you to a data recovery professional or just install a new hard drive if you're willing to lose the data altogether.