iMac is losing connection

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andrewoc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. andrewoc macrumors newbie

I have no idea what's wrong. I tried reinstalling os x with no luck.

21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB ram 500GB hd

iChat keeps disconnecting, pages and youtube vids load extremely slow(about 1min to load this post page).

Need some help thanks :D

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Wireless?

If so, what happens when you plug in using ethernet?

3. andrewoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, also forgot to mention the connection displays as full. I can't plug it into an ethernet either.

4. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'm having the same issue on a 2.4 13 mb.

I have reinstalled the os.
    Reset the router.
    Called the cable company.
    Changed the DSL Modem.

And it can't hold a connection for more than 3 minutes without disconnecting itself even though it shows it is connected. I hate this machine right now it is completely useless. It's like i'm working off a modem from the 90's

5. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

How about accessing the router's software and setting the router the way you want first? For example, I have a Belkin wireless G Plus, so I enter the following address on Safari: 192.168.2.1

This gets me to the router's settings. Under LAN Settings, I set the Lease time to "Forever."

I also make sure that the Connection Time box is not check-marked. If you have set your router to Wireless, then read the instructions next to each setting you decided to choose or change. The OS is that last thing I would think as being the problem. You can test your network by trying another computer.
    -------
    More than likely your problems are related to your modem, router, network, or ISP. The computer usually doesn't drop-off; something in the network disconnects the communication. It's also possible that some of your neighbors are sharing your network, specially if you have a wireless network without password.

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

How come you can't wire it to the router with an ethernet cable?

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Are you using someone else's internet?

8. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Good question :)

9. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i dont' know if you're using and apple router, but if you are try changing the multicast rate in the settings, this helped me.